Remington 700 picks and choses when to fire

It's a Wildcat, It has been around in one form or another since the 300 win mag came out. Most popular one is the "Mashburn"
Yes, as far as I am aware, it's a wildcat. No factory ammo. Excuse my sarcastic sense. Brian11 assumed he was using factory ammo. Factory loaded ammo doesn't exist, except maybe provided by the 'custom loaders'. It's not 'on the shelf' at your LGS.

Contrary to old dive's tales about springs wearing out under tension or taking a set, that doesn't happen. The same old myth has been going around for years about magazine springs. Metal fatigues from being worked so if the spring is weak it is likely from the 5000 rounds that have been fired through it.

I would disassemble the bolt and put in a new firing pin spring and firing pin. It wouldn't hurt to clean it too.
This ^^^^ is truth, springs do not wear out from being compressed, compressing a half decent quality spring within it's designed range and leaving it for 20 years does no damage to it. Springs wear out from CYCLES. Low quality springs or springs operated outside the compression range they should be used in would be damaged, Good quality springs are damaged mostly by someone that thinks you can grab a spring and stretch it back to it's original length or a bit longer to get more force out of it. That does more damage than normal cycling would and does it instantly.

Wow. A lot of great reply's. They're handloads. I had the gun at a gunsmith rebar sling it 80 rounds ago. Had him clean and check firing pin 150 rounds ago. He never changed anything.

I will pull it apart and clean it to see if that helps. I will also order a new spring and replace that as well.

Wow. A lot of great reply's. They're handloads. I had the gun at a gunsmith rebar sling it 80 rounds ago. Had him clean and check firing pin 150 rounds ago. He never changed anything.

I will pull it apart and clean it to see if that helps. I will also order a new spring and replace that as well.
You will need a firing pin spring compressor tool for Remington 700s, a 3/32" punch (I prefer a 'shorter' punch) and a hammer. A bench block is handy, too. Use a standard weight spring, not an 'extra power'. Hopefully, just a good cleaning will fix it. Clean the inside of the bolt (where the firing pin goes), too.

what does "rebar sling it" mean?. Enlighten me, I feel stupid today

I have had to replace with a 28 lb spring if use cci primers tend to be a little thicker?

Ok at first you said you had 5000 rounds on it, Which may be true, But now you say it was re-barreled 150 rds ago or was it 80 rounds ago? I would check HEADSPACE, Long headspace will cause misfires due to the firing pin losing it's inertia and length of travel as it drives the case forward causing light strikes.