Remington 700 picks and choses when to fire

I'm working on this same problem right now for a friend. As others have said, clean it, then replace the spring. You can get them lots of places; I got mine at PTG.
Also in this case, someone in the past had replaced the firing pin with a "lighter weight" fluted firing pin. So I ordered both the spring and the standard steel firing pin. After doing that, I also discovered that the cocking ramp on the bolt body was either worn out or someone had ground it, so the angle was steeper and, especially with the new stronger spring, it wanted to catch and try to bend the cocking piece. So I ended up getting a whole new bolt. So check that bolt body before ordering the parts, so you can get everything you need the first time, instead of 2 orders, like i had to do.
And I recommend always storing your guns with the hammer or striker down, not cocked.
Here's a pic of the bolt, with a new bolt for comparison.
BoltsComparison.jpg

I had trouble on a couple of hunts where I had a misfire. I never could figure it out until one day I was in a treestand hunting and a nice buck presented on my right side, and I only had a couple seconds to react. I swung the rifle over and set up.left handed and when I pulled the trigger, I saw the bolt kinda bounce a little. Turned out that my problem all along was that the bolt was lifted very slightly, and reduced the tension and travel distance jof the firing pin jist enough to keep.it from igniting the primer. The primer did appear to be hit hard enough to ignite as well....since that point, I had a rubber band that I keep around the trigger guard of my 700s. I've not had the problem since.

BTW, that nice buck did also cooperate and moved back in enough to give me a shot after the first misfire. I lifted the bolt and closed it back and it barked! DRT

Strikers (firing pins) are generally OK but their springs take a set and get shorter delivering less striker energy and velocity.

Go here and you will find they generally make 3 springs for most rifles, FACTORY , stronger spring and a much stronger spring.

I generally get the middle one.

Disassemble the bolt and measure the free length (uncompressed) against the one you just bought and you will probably find it to be shorter.

Can you rephrase that last sentence about measuring the spring? Which one would be shorter, the old or new???

Try taking the bolt apart and clean both the bolt & firing pin assembly. It could be dirty or the oil you use could Gun up, especially in cold temps. I used shooters lube until it gummed up on me while hunting. I threw it out and went back to Rem Oil and never had another problem. Look at those 2 things first.

Also store your firearms muzzle down. If you store them on the butt and muzzle up all the oil / cleaning solutions will eventually collect on the bolt face and into the firing pin hole.

Check out the pin that connects the firing pin to the bolt head. While it may look OK from the outside, the pin can crack within the bolt-head and cause miss-fires. New pin and cracked pin which caused intermittent misfires, ultimately failing all-together. View attachment 421732View attachment 421733
Where did you find that pin? PTG sells all the parts except that one. OOS at Numrich.

Just change the barrel in my rifle from 7 mag to a 7x300. The firing pin seems to hit too hard making a deeper depression in the primer. I don't know the reason for this! Any suggestion?

Recent Posts