Remington 700 Accurizing on a shoestring

270yotekiller

I just bought a brand new rem 700SPS in 300WSM and i amfollowing a strict regiment of cleaning and have about 50rnds through the pipe. I adjusted the trigger to break at 4lbs which is fine for me and the cold weather in Saskatchewan. Also had to make some mods to the feeding rails and feed ramp for the shells to feed 100%.

I haven't worked out an accurate load to shoot but so far will be trying Sierra 165GK BTHP, Nosler 165 Accubond, Hornady 168AMAX, but thats a different situation.

I want to make some accurizing mods on this rifle but try to keep all costs around $650.00, thought it would be a good place to get some advice, what would be the most crucial modifications within budget?

get a good smith to true the action and in this case the barrel,with a good recoil lug,then pillar bed.next i would get a good set of dies and mounting hardware for the scope. i'm assuming your 650 is not including a scope.

I am using a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40mm right now with 2 piece weaver bases and burris zee rings. plan on upgrading the mounting system but the scope is going to have to suffice for now.

I'd piller bed it first , have the crown recut , the trigger worked and see how it shoots.

If it still doesen't shoot to your expectations , buy a $300 barrel , have it installed and your action Blueprinted for another $300 and a good recoil lug $30, while your waiting for your gun to come back save your pennies and get a set of good rings and mounts.
OR , sell the gun for $350 add your $650 then buy a Lawton action for $750 beg your wife for $50 and get a $300 barrel , save for a couple months or so and have the barrel fitted. This route you will have a one of a kind rig that is built to your specs and will have a much higher resale value.

270yotekiller ,

Pull the bolt out and see if the lugs are baring evenly ,on the backside of the two square protruding lugs -look at the metal to metal wear and see if they both look the same.
If one has more wear than the other you can put a dab of valve lapping compound on the side w/the most wear.Then work the bolt up and down to lap off some of the metal so the other lug bare more evenly.Make sure to give it a good cleaning afterwords.

GET A BETTER STOCK !! You WILL be glad you did trust me.I use to think -what in the world would someone buy a different stock for until i bought a HS Precision.I now have three.

There is a 300wsm Douglas barrel for sale on 24 hour campfire for $180 + some brass.The thread says selling a rem 300 saum -it sold but the barrel is still available -they're $260ish new.They are very good barrels for the money -i have one on a 22-250 that shoots .4-.5" ,shot a .132 and a .337 a week ago.

You might well need a higher mag scope to tune the rifle a 3x9 might not be enough to know for sure where the crosshair was at the shot.

So you might try these tinkering tricks and if they don't work take Dave's advice !Best of luck -Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.