Good Book on Rifle Accurizing

Daddy Justin

Team,

I am looking for a book just on the basics of rifle maintenance, such as rifle and scope bedding. I looked in Midway and found about 5 possible choices, but they are not very discriptive on what they cover. Any suggestions ?

Thank you in advance,

Justin

If you are looking for a good source of info on those topics then rest easy. You're reading it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sorry I cant help on the book choice. I have only read one and I wasn't that impressed with it.

"Accurizing the factory rifle" is probably the best book of its kind. It has a wealth of great info.M.L.McPherson,the author,is a man with tremendous amount of knowledge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Justin

By far "Rifle Accuracy Facts" by Harold Vaughn is the best single most extensive book backed by tests and scientific measuring equipment.
He provides the reader with some very indepth studies and answers them with tests. His book is one of the best if not the best read I have read on anything to do with the accruacy of a rifle.
Some quick examples; in one case he examines the symetry of the rem 700 action, he then matches the holes found on the receiver and drills them opposite of original position to study how this affected accuracy then he reports on hsi findings. Variable pitch threads and how they make contact and how it affected accuracy with some very neat photos and some very indepth sometimes uncomphrendable material.
Some areas of the book went way over my head while others were very on the spot for accruacy.
I would highly recommend that you purchase this book.
[ QUOTE ]
Book Description
The author, who spent his career studying trajectories of nuclear missles and artillery shells, wrote this work after becoming dissatisfied with the accuracy of commercial rifles. Through years of research, he examinded a variety of gunsmithing and handloading issues in search of the ultimate in rifle accuracy, including barrel-receiver joint motion, barrel vibration and rigidity, chamber and throat design, case neck tension, and bullet imbalance.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
About the Author
The author served as the supervisor of the Aeroballistics Division of the Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque from 1959 to 1986, which provided the flight dynamics and aerodynamic research for nuclear weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly he passed away this Oct and will be missed by everyone who knew him. I cant think of any other member of the shooting sports who has contributed so much information as he did in his book. You can pick it up on amazon.com for around 25 bucks.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.