Remington 700 260 build

Craveman85

I wore out the factory barrel on my first and favorite rifle. It was a 1964 remington 700Adl in 243. I bought it off a man I knew when I was 16 for 300$ in relatively good shape with a vintage weaver t6 target scope on it. I actually traded the scope for an old Mossberg 500 16 gauge pre serial numbers with 2 barrels. The year I got it they actually opened the area I live in to rifles. It took my first and all but one of my bucks including it's last, a 183 lb dressed 20" spread 8 point that was only 2.5 years old. I'd still be dropping deer with it if it didn't start producing 6" groups. I also couldn't find the rifling from the chamber side anymore. After a year of trying to make decisions with it I took it to hart barrels in Lafayette ny for a bead blasted 26" varmint contour 8" 260 remington barrel. For a stock I'm either going with an older varmint special walnut stock that will be bedded and have all non varnished wood sealed with clear penetrating epoxy, or a mcmillan Htg. If I go Htg I'm not sure if I'll go all out with an adjustable butt and cheek or just get a cheek rest bag if the comb Is too low. I'm keeping the original adjusted trigger because I love it. The scope is a leupold vx6 3-18x44 with the target reticle and cds dial. Hopefully I can make it until December-next February without changing my mind about anything again. I will say I was very pleased with the atmosphere at hart barrels. Jack Sutton gave me a tour of the shop and chatted for a while. I was surprised by all the ww2 era machinery in the shop. I was expecting a bunch of high tech NASA grade stuff but it's great equipment so why replace it? They do have a couple cnc machines for fluting and contours though. I'm glad I'm only a little over an hour away and had the opportunity to drop it off in person. I'm already looking for another receiver to bring them.

You could always go with the original stock, just have them open the barrel channels or the varmint barrel, and it would keep a lot of it's originality, and sentimental value.

Plus, I have a thing for the old vintage 700 monte-carlo walnut stocks with the wide beavertail fore end. Just gives an older rifle that old-school custom rifle look to it with the wood stock, blued receiver, and stainless barrel.

Mine had the basic Adl Monte Carlo stock not the wood monte varmint one. The old one I find the forearm too narrow for comfort and I'm not even sure I could hog the barrel channel out enough.

Mine had the basic Adl Monte Carlo stock not the wood monte varmint one. The old one I find the forearm too narrow for comfort and I'm not even sure I could hog the barrel channel out enough.

Yeah, I know the ones you're talking about. I agree, they're not very varmint barrel friendly. Those vintage wide front BDL stocks are, and they can be picked up on eBay for about 1/2 what an aftermarket synthetic stock goes for.

Not sure what look you're going for, just from your post it sounded like you have a bit of a sentimental attachment to the rifle, so I thought I'd throw that out there incase you wanted to keep it as close to original as possible.

If I get a varmint special stock with no dings or scratches I'll go that route. Unless I get too much flex from hunting conditions. But with pillars and sealing all the wood with bedding and free floating I should be good to go.

I do have one issue with the factory wood stocks or actually any stocks. I'm 6-5 ish with a 7' wing span and Length of pull is usually too short and I'd actually like the comb to be higher and the butt plate to be lower. On some rifles I find my head to be leaning over the comb and me trying to lift my cheek to get a good sight picture.

Or you could always contact Joel Russo and see what he can make you a custom stock for, since you're so tall that you're LOP is longer than normal.

If you go to boyds you can get one of their laminated varmint thumbholes or tactical stock or whatever style you prefer, and you can customize your LOP, lamination color, finish, add an adjustable comb, a few choices of recoil pads, a few different styles of checkering, and custom engravings when you order it, and still not dump a ton of cash. It would still require pillar bedding, but thats not a hard chore to do, and on a rifle like that, it would be more a labor of love. Just a thought.

Order a Remington Hunter from Mcmillan with a 14" lop and they can also push the action inlet .25" forward to gain a little more room for tall guys. I'm 6'7" tall and have done that to a couple. Works well.

I wish the rem Hunter had the same forend as the rem varmint. Or the varmint had the full monte Carlo instead of just the raised comb. I like that wider varmint front end. So my options are the Htg in woodland or forest camo, the remington varmint or Hunter in dark mcwoody, or a walnut oem varmint special stock. I do like the fact that I can get a mcmillan made in the 4-4.5lb range. I could live with the rifle being 10lbs but would like to be closer to 12.

I wore out the factory barrel on my first and favorite rifle. It was a 1964 remington 700Adl in 243. I bought it off a man I knew when I was 16 for 300$ in relatively good shape with a vintage weaver t6 target scope on it. I actually traded the scope for an old Mossberg 500 16 gauge pre serial numbers with 2 barrels. The year I got it they actually opened the area I live in to rifles. It took my first and all but one of my bucks including it's last, a 183 lb dressed 20" spread 8 point that was only 2.5 years old. I'd still be dropping deer with it if it didn't start producing 6" groups. I also couldn't find the rifling from the chamber side anymore. After a year of trying to make decisions with it I took it to hart barrels in Lafayette ny for a bead blasted 26" varmint contour 8" 260 remington barrel. For a stock I'm either going with an older varmint special walnut stock that will be bedded and have all non varnished wood sealed with clear penetrating epoxy, or a mcmillan Htg. If I go Htg I'm not sure if I'll go all out with an adjustable butt and cheek or just get a cheek rest bag if the comb Is too low. I'm keeping the original adjusted trigger because I love it. The scope is a leupold vx6 3-18x44 with the target reticle and cds dial. Hopefully I can make it until December-next February without changing my mind about anything again. I will say I was very pleased with the atmosphere at hart barrels. Jack Sutton gave me a tour of the shop and chatted for a while. I was surprised by all the ww2 era machinery in the shop. I was expecting a bunch of high tech NASA grade stuff but it's great equipment so why replace it? They do have a couple cnc machines for fluting and contours though. I'm glad I'm only a little over an hour away and had the opportunity to drop it off in person. I'm already looking for another receiver to bring them.

I assume, because you are going with a varmint weight barrel and 8" twist that you want a long range capability with this rifle. The .260 is a great long range cartridge but if you are going to shoot the long VLD type bullets it does present some problems in the 2.8" magazine box your 700 has. My recommendation would be a 6.5x47 Lapua if you reload, or a 6.5 Creedmoor if you don't. Both are better suited to the short magazine box because than the .260 because the bullet infringes less on the powder space and it is easier to reach the lands with the bullet in magazine length ammo.

If you are determined to go with the .260, you could go with a Wyatt extended box or DBM bottom metal and magazines. The Wyatt's can be made to feed ok but often take considerable tweaking to get them to do so. If you can't stomach the looks or handling qualities of a DBM, I would once again recommend the 6.5 Lapua or 6.5 Creedmoor.

No matter which way you go, I would recommend that you have your chamber throated so you can reach the lands with VLD type bullets at a little less than magazine length so you can chase the lands for the life of the barrel.

John

I wish the rem Hunter had the same forend as the rem varmint. Or the varmint had the full monte Carlo instead of just the raised comb. I like that wider varmint front end. So my options are the Htg in woodland or forest camo, the remington varmint or Hunter in dark mcwoody, or a walnut oem varmint special stock. I do like the fact that I can get a mcmillan made in the 4-4.5lb range. I could live with the rifle being 10lbs but would like to be closer to 12.

I'm pretty sure the McMillan Remington Hunter and Remington Varmint have the same dimensions with the exception of the Varmint having the wider forend. I believe the Remington Varmint DOES have the same Monte Carlo with cheek piece that the Remington Hunter does. If you are just concerned with how big a barrel the Remington Hunter will handle, I have had one and it will easily take up to a Remington Varmint contoured barrel and then some.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts