260 Build ???

jimq1

Fixing to buy a 700 in 270 for the action. Plan on making it into a 260 whose primary use is whitetail hunting with my max range being 400 or so. This will have a 22" Douglas #5 or 5A barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. Got in mind to shoot the Berger 130 or 140 VLDs in it. What are your thoughts on this setup for those that have a 260????

Fixing to buy a 700 in 270 for the action. Plan on making it into a 260 whose primary use is whitetail hunting with my max range being 400 or so. This will have a 22" Douglas #5 or 5A barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. Got in mind to shoot the Berger 130 or 140 VLDs in it. What are your thoughts on this setup for those that have a 260????

I think w/ other offerings in the 6.5 world the 260 has fallen way down the line. If you're gonna use a long action might as well use it all on something w/ more horsepower or use a short action on a 6.5creedmoor.

I agree with Ohio hunter. If you have a long action might as well use it. 6.5-284 norma, 6.5-06 standard or Ackley improved.

The 260 will be just fine for what your wanting to do. Especially for range around 400 yards.
But for those ranges you might want to just keep your 270. There is not much difference in any of them at that range.

Thanks for the comments gentleman. Was looking for opinions about the 260 though, not what else I should build.

Asked for thoughts and you got'm. Sounds like you're gonna build a gun, kind of the norm around here, not sure what other kind of input you're looking for as I have stated my opinion of the 260... recap: w/ new offerings in 6.5mm the 260 is pretty much an obsolete medium length cartridge.

Might as well get a little out of that long action and make it an AI.

The 260 will do everything your talking about to 400 yards and then some. I would consider going to a 24" barrel and ackley improving it for a bit more velocity and brass life and I would put it on a short action with a wyatts box or dbm. My .02

Doing the LA so that if I need to run them out past book length for the best accuracy, they will fit in the magazine. Again thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I've built several rifles for customers who compete in LR Sporting Rifle Matches. They shoot from 250yds out to just beyond 1000yds. , each target at a different yardage. ONE shot at each target is all that's permitted. All have been built on SAs. Determining yardage, either with a range finder or a ranging scope, premium optics and knowing how to use them (mapping the load, so you know how many 'clicks'), and the ability of the shooter have always been more important than being able to "touch the lands" with their loads. But, it's your dime, have at it.

Appreciate all the replies gentlemen and I did not mean to come across as an ***, if I did I apologize. New to this and I thought there was more pros than cons to going with a long action. don't have a lot in this gun so I can get my money back out of it pretty easily I think. Do you think it would be better to just find a short action and build on it?

jimq1

It is not a dumb idea to use a long action for your build but a short action would be stiffer and theoretically have more accuracy potential plus be more compact at slightly less weight. At 400 yards and in you could use most anything with good results. However, I'd steer away from the Bergers. They work most of the time but "most of the time" is not good enough for me. My nephew had two pencil through this past season and he is dropping them. I think the new Hornady ELD-X in 6.5mm 143 grains would give better results.

Appreciate all the replies gentlemen and I did not mean to come across as an ***, if I did I apologize. New to this and I thought there was more pros than cons to going with a long action. don't have a lot in this gun so I can get my money back out of it pretty easily I think. Do you think it would be better to just find a short action and build on it?

There is a lot of knowledge on this board. I'd suggest paying close attention and ask lots of questions, I wish I had followed the exact advice I am giving you. It would have saved me at least one build in a caliber I have since moved on from.

Well you could just go with the Rem 700 SPS in 260 that they brought out a year or two ago. It has a 24" barrel and an 8 twist. Probably not anything to write home about without some tweeking on your end but you never know you might get a pretty good one. This allows you to work with the cartridge and see if it is for you. If not you can always sell it get some of your money back and go to something else. I have been shooting the .260 for a long time and I like it a lot, actually it is my deer rifle of choice I have numerous choices in the safe but when it is deer that's the one I usually grab 90% of the time. The cartridge is pretty mild mannered and easy to load for with a large spectrum of bullet weights and powders. I have worked up loads from 100-140 with pretty much all the major MFG's bullets and powders from Rl-15 up to 7828. Most of the time the results were acceptable for general hunting and some ( my current loads) excellent. Just what my rifle shoots the best which also happens to work the best on deer sized game inside the 260's performance range.

The .260 is not for everyone as we all have our preferences but I like it just fine and it works well so I will continue to use it cause it is just plain fun to load for and shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.