Remington 700 25-06

Rfitz57

Hello. I have a new (to me) Remington 700 CDL in 25-06. The rifle has never been fired. My problem is that you really have to work the bolt hard to chamber a live round. I colored a factory load wit a Sharpie, let it dry and then chambered the round. There were no marks on the round when I ejected the round. Is this head space or extractor issues? Thank you.

If you are experiencing difficulty in chambering live rounds in your Rem, it could potentially be caused by Two common issues that can affect the ease of chambering rounds are headspace and extractor problems.

1. If the headspace is too tight, it can make it difficult to chamber rounds smoothly. If the headspace is indeed the issue, it would require the attention of a qualified gunsmith to properly assess and adjust the headspace if necessary.
  2. If the extractor is not functioning properly, it can cause resistance when chambering rounds. Inspect the extractor to ensure it is clean, free from debris, and properly lubricated. If necessary, it may need adjustment or replacement by a gunsmith.

What factory ammo? If Hornaday, sometimes the ammo is over sized and won't chamber correctly. I had that problem with PRC ammo from Hornady. I would try ammo from a different manufacturer first.

Surprisingly, Hornady Precision Hunter 110 grain ELD-X will chamber if you work the bolt really hard. Federal Premium 110 grain Accubond will not chamber. Out of a full box, I managed to get 3 rounds to chamber. If this truly is a head space issue, will it hurt to fire the rifle?

Surprisingly, Hornady Precision Hunter 110 grain ELD-X will chamber if you work the bolt really hard. Federal Premium 110 grain Accubond will not chamber. Out of a full box, I managed to get 3 rounds to chamber. If this truly is a head space issue, will it hurt to fire the rifle?
How easy or hard is it to compress the ejector plunger in the bolt? This is a common issue with some REM 700's that have been stored for some time.
If it depresses fully with thumbnail pressure, all is good, if it doesn't, cleaning with a solvent then lightly oiling it may fix the issue. I have seen burrs left in the hole that hold the plunger from moving, disassembly was required to fix this.
I doubt headspace is the issue.

Cheers.

I own a Sako Tecomate in 270 WSM, shoots great but I need to buy 4 boxes of Federal Premium 150 Nosler Partitions to get 40 rounds to chamber. With HSM 150 Bergers 78 out of 80 will chamber. I was told I had "a tight chamber" and a gunsmith should "polish it". Sounds similar.