Remington 700 30-06 issues

hilltop101

I was handed down a 1968 model Remington 700 BDL 30-06 not too long ago, and I can't seem to get the groups I want out of it. I've tried 5 different kinds of factory ammo ranging from 150gr to 178gr from 4 different manufacturers and the best 5 shot groups I've gotten is 1.5" at 100 yards. I've had .5 MOA 700's in the past so I feel like I'm a capable shooter.
I've also tried two different scopes with two different sets of rings and bases with no difference. I have the rifle sitting in a B&C stock, although it has not been bedded. I thought I found a winner with 165gr federal ballistic tips when the first three rounds were touching, but the 4th and 5th rounds left the group about 1.5". This seems to happen with some of the other ammo I've tried too.
Is this rifle just picky about ammo? Or is there something structurally wrong with this 48 year old rifle?
This rifle has sentimental value so I won't sell it but may consider a rebarrel.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bed the action into the stock and float the barrel. That should help with the fliers.

Also, sometimes with sporter barreled rifles, the barrel heats up too much after 3 consistent shots in a row, and throws the last 2. You might have to settle for a 3-shot group, unless you wait about 5 minutes in between each shot.

BUT, another issue is factory ammo. Factory ammo is nowhere near as consistent or accurate as handloads. Therefore you will rarely find factory ammo that shoots under 1 MOA in a factory rifle. Factory ammo is also not tailored to your rifle, and setup to run just right in your rifle's chamber (every chamber is different).

You might want to look into reloading for it. That should help the most.

Stock issues were a thing on those older guns. I had a Reminton 700 about the same age. The barrel channel had a good sized bead of varnish in it. I cleaned the barrel channel up with sand paper and tightened the front screw real tight and the rear screw kinda tight. Seemed to help a lot.

Check the muzzle crown. I have fixed a number of rifles that would not shoot well by simply taking a round head BRASS bolt/screw and chucking it in a drill and apply valve grinding compound to the bolt head and muzzle and running the drill at a slow speed holding the bolt head against the muzzle. The round head will center in the muzzle and will cut a new sharp crown in just about 30 seconds. You can go on Youtube and see videos on how to do it. I would bed the stock and free float the barrel. Factory ammo is a crap shoot for accuracy. The old suggested accuracy load from the Sierra manual of 51.2 grs IMR 4064 with 150 gr cup and core bullet from most any maker has always shot really well for me especially with Sierra Pro Hunter and Nosler ballistic tips. They kill deer really well also.

I agree with everything Mudd said...
Including the three shot groups with sporter barrels.. Some times it's a better indicator of the rifles potential.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll try to load a few rounds for it and see if that makes a difference. I tried giving the barrel time to cool down between shots, at least not letting it get to the point where I couldn't hold in to it without it burning my hand. I just don't remember having these issues with my last rifle.

You have to think about that rifle being so old, the stock has been exposed to moisture then probably extremely dry at some point, absorbed oils and solvents etc.
It's been up and down more than my reloading press handle... So I would bed and free float it, that should bring it back to a stable platform..

I have a meopta meopro 3.5x10 in Talley rings. It has the factory trigger, but I adjusted it with a lighter pull and it breaks like glass.

You guys make a **** mountain out of a mowhill.
1: NEVER screw with the crown unless you know what you're doing.
2: Check your bedding, make sure theres nothing touching the pipe.
3: If 3 are touching and the last few are fliers... that is BARREL HEAT, nothing ELSE.
Sporter weight hunting barrels are a bit slimmer and once the metal heats, poi shifts. Its as simple as that. You want to shoot 5 into a group, in a quick fashion.... either use a quicker powder or get a thicker pipe on that thing.
gun)

I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut hole that if you let the barrel cool between shots you won't have the flyers. I attribute most of the flyers to the action to stock fit. If this is a hunting rifle I don't think I would mess with it. Just my opinion

Bed the action into the stock and float the barrel. That should help with the fliers.

Also, sometimes with sporter barreled rifles, the barrel heats up too much after 3 consistent shots in a row, and throws the last 2. You might have to settle for a 3-shot group, unless you wait about 5 minutes in between each shot.

BUT, another issue is factory ammo. Factory ammo is nowhere near as consistent or accurate as handloads. Therefore you will rarely find factory ammo that shoots under 1 MOA in a factory rifle. Factory ammo is also not tailored to your rifle, and setup to run just right in your rifle's chamber (every chamber is different).

You might want to look into reloading for it. That should help the most.

101, my brother in law has a 1963 700 he hadn't shot in 30 years. After cleaning it up, he went to the range and it wasn't very accurate. We free floated, bedded, gave it a trigger job and hand loaded some test loads. The second load shot a consistent sub-MOA at 200 and still does 5 years later.

if the scope is good, the trigger good. I clean it real good. and shoot a known bullet like a 168 berger or matchking. with varget or I-4064. load the bullets .030 off the lands. and use a match primer like a 210m or a br-2 and lapua brass.

You guys make a **** mountain out of a mowhill.
1: NEVER screw with the crown unless you know what you're doing.
2: Check your bedding, make sure theres nothing touching the pipe.
3: If 3 are touching and the last few are fliers... that is BARREL HEAT, nothing ELSE.
Sporter weight hunting barrels are a bit slimmer and once the metal heats, poi shifts. Its as simple as that. You want to shoot 5 into a group, in a quick fashion.... either use a quicker powder or get a thicker pipe on that thing.
gun)

x2
I have the same issue with my '06. I shoot a hot load through it and I can get the 1st 2 almost on top of each other but, that 3rd is always an 1" off. I'm thinking of putting a new barrel on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.