Remington 6mm in Mod 600

Huntsman66

Does anyone have any definite information on the twist rate on a Remington Mod 600 chambered 6mm Remington.. It has the 16 in barrel and was produced in 1964. I have looked all over the net but get answers ranging from 1-10 to 1-12. And Remington wont answer any phone calls.

I hope someone has experience with this rifle, I am trying to determine if it will stabilize a 100gn bullet. Based on information I've found it likes the 75 to 95gn the best, But need to work up a load and with things the way they are didn't want to waist a ton of components figuring it out..

Thanks in advance....

Pretty sure, all 6MM Remingtons were 1-9. All .244 Remingtons (same cartridge) were 1-12. When the .243 beat up on the .244 with 100gr bullets Rem changed the twist and renamed the cartridge the 6MM Remington. The .243 Winchester was 1-10.

Using a cleaning patch that is attached to cleaning rod with a swivel handle start by pushing the rod through barrel from the muzzle and than attach a patch that is going to be tight in the barrel lubercate it get started in the barrel. wrap masking tape on the rod at the muzzle (like a flag) as you pull the rod out it will rotate measure the flag to the barrel when the flag makes one rotation ie. 10 inches .... 12 inches .... 14 inches. your patch needs to be tight in the barrel for this to work.

Pretty sure, all 6MM Remingtons were 1-9. All .244 Remingtons (same cartridge) were 1-12. When the .243 beat up on the .244 with 100gr bullets Rem changed the twist and renamed the cartridge the 6MM Remington. The .243 Winchester was 1-10.
thanks yeah I read that article and that's what prompted me to buy the 100gn, bullets. I guess I just started over thinking the whole issue, seemed like everything i looked at gave me a different answer.. my barrel is marked 6mm and not 244

Don't know about any article, but I used to have a .244 and 2 6MM Rems. One 6MM was a 600 and the other a 700 Varmint. The .244 was a Varmint too, but been a long time ago. I always thought it was a better cartridge than the .243. Still do, especially if you AI it in a 26" gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.