Remington 600 .350 mag

The 350 is great, I've killed bear, deer, elk, and coyotes with mine. I have a Ruger 77 in 350 and load the Barnes 200 TSX with IMR 3031 and it is pretty hot, but really packs a punch. You can load it down some and it still kills like a house was dropped on the game. The recoil really isnt as bad as some say. Load it down at first and see what you like and work your way up. I think you will be fine. The 600 is a fun gun.

I had one of those Rem 600's in 350 Rem Mag.. I would like to own one. I am not sure if I would keep the barrel though, I heard they are not accurate out of the factory. I think Would rebarrel it and put a slightly heavier barrel with flutes in it on the action.
Moreover: I think I would turn it onto a 338 Win Mag guide's gun. W/ muzzle brake and a 2-7X32MM light weight scope.

I don't believe the 600 Mohawk would fit a 700 short action stock. The action was designed for the XP100 and has the trigger farther back for one thing. I modified a short action stock to fit but it wasn't easy as the recoil lug had to be moved back and the floor plate modified - and I could only do it because I was using an aftermarket steel floor plate. You can install a regular Rem trigger on the Mohawk but then you would have to build a custom floor plate.

[QUOTE="ofbandg, post: 1890359, member: 91402".....]I don't believe the 600 Mohawk would fit a 700 short action stock......[/QUOTE]

There are after market stocks, I have a Brown Precision on mine. Stocky's and Boyd's advertise them, likely others. DoubleZranch from this forum could likely get a stock sorted out if that's an issue.

I don't believe the 600 Mohawk would fit a 700 short action stock. The action was designed for the XP100 and has the trigger farther back for one thing. I modified a short action stock to fit but it wasn't easy as the recoil lug had to be moved back and the floor plate modified - and I could only do it because I was using an aftermarket steel floor plate. You can install a regular Rem trigger on the Mohawk but then you would have to build a custom floor plate.
Its not a 700 short action, it would be a 7 short action. There is a difference. The 600 is the same as the 7 short action.

I went to a range once with a friend to sight in his rifle and check my .30-30. Kevin was a good shot and everything checked out. We ran out of targets so I ripped a magazine cover off a guns and ammo. Nice buck photo. Meanwhile a guy is booming away at the end of the line. WTH is that thing!! 350 Remington. He went down and put up a 2x2' target because he was flinching so bad!!! When he came back, I leaned on the post and called my shot. Right in the neck. We were laughing and he asked to see my target.... He packed up and went home.

Remington 7 and Mohawk do not have quite the same foot print. For the front hole , yes, but the rear hold is not at the same place. I know cause I tried to fit a Mohawk in my remington 7 mdt chassis. Companies like McMillan can inlet most of their Remington style stocks for the Mohawk

probably 40 yrs ago i built a 30/350 mag. it was the biggest short action cartridge at the time. kind of a short magnum before the WSM. had a 12 twist barrel for 150 gr bullets on a mod 7 action. very short, light, and lethal!

Remington 7 and Mohawk do not have quite the same foot print. For the front hole , yes, but the rear hold is not at the same place. I know cause I tried to fit a Mohawk in my remington 7 mdt chassis. Companies like McMillan can inlet most of their Remington style stocks for the Mohawk
Is the mohawk a 660, if so is it the same as a 600. I have been told that the 600 and the rem 7 have the same foot print!

That might help a bit :

The one with a trigger with a split sear definitely does not match the 7 with its rear screw position .

Ok, reading this thread gave me a great idea for this rifle if I can get it reasonable. Indiana allows rifle on public land with 1.8" max case length and .35 cal. So this opens up a lot if new thought how to use it. Although I live in Michigan, I sometimes hunt IN public land and have shot some nice bucks there. There is a WSM that was wildcatted for this which would be perfect for this SA. Recoil irrelevant with this WSM from my perspective.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.