350 Remington Magnum Project

I'm an oddball. Those who know me would quickly agree.:D I have this strange desire to build a 350 Rem Mag, similar to another project I did, a 6.5/300WSM using a 260 REM Ruger Mark II Weather Warrior that had the bolt face opened up and a muzzle break installed. A sweet shooting lightweight weapon indeed.:cool:
Either talk me out of it or give me some advice. I'm not really interested in a 35 Whelen or a similiar cartridge. If I can go to Walmart and by factory ammo for it, I don't want it.:rolleyes:
From elementary research I've found that the longest COAL is 2.800" for this caliber in the Remington model 660 bolt action carbine in which the caliber was introduced. As often is the case when using the heavier bullets in a cartridge with a short neck, this seating depth reduces the powder charge that can be used, thus limiting the advantage of the heavier bullets. Since my goal is to create a light weight heavy hitting rifle What would be a good action to use that would allow me to seat the heavier bullets (225gr - 250gr) long enough to take full advantage of them without going to a standard long action. Would the modern era SA have the same limitations? Is their an action between the SA (308 class) and LA (30-06 class)? I'm thinking that something that would handle the 55-57 mm length cartridges might work. Is the 7mm Mauser (7X57) a short action? My only experience with a 57mm is my 8X57 Mauser that I had rechambered to an 8mm /06 which is a long action. Without a case or bullet on hand for the 350 RM I really don't know what length I'm talking about.
Just thinking aloud, could a standard SA magazine be lengthened and still allow the longer COALs to feed through the action reliablly. I do not want to limit myself to a single shot rifle. If this is possible I could rebarrel an existing gun.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Shoots for fungun)

If you just want an oddball go for it.

If I were to do something similar though I'd just build a .325 wsm.

The available selection of high bc .35cal hunting bullets is a very short list, which would preclude me from even entertaining such a project.

Savage J-series are an "in-between" size action. Though, i think the internal magazine might need to be altered somewhat. If I remember correctly, the magazine opening is just barely larger than a 6.5X55.

350 alaskan, essentially the 350 stw. Put the hammer down on the animal. 8mm rem mag case baby, lots of powder. When you get tired of that, rebarrel to 7 stw and shoot the new bergers coming out at 190 grains. The stw is for pro's tho. lol

Just go with a long action. Any old rifle in a win mag will do. I have rebarrelled 2 rifles that were 300 win mag into 6.5 rem mags and the gunsmith can set the throat to let you get out of the powder column. The 350 rem mag is just a 6.5 rem mag necked up to 35.

Both rebarrels I have done have zero feeding problems.

What are you going to save with a short or medium action? A couple of ounces? IMO not worth the feeding problems and worrying about seating into the powder.

Recommend at least a 22" if not a 24" barrel to get away from the muzzle blast. A friend has a short 20" barrel 350 rem mag and he complains about the muzzle blast all the time.

Never understood the hankering for a short action

SA and heavy for caliber bullets dont play that well together. If you want to shoot a 250 35 would have to vote whelen in a long and move on... I would vote for a 338-06AI and shoot 180 to 300 with NO feeding issues or magazine restraints... And outstanding brass available... Just my .02

M

I'd re-barrel a win. wsm action if I wanted a 350 rem. A long action would do better with a 35 sta or 35 norma mag, or 35 whelen if it is a standard bolt face. I've got a whelen and a 338 win so I haven't bought the 673 the local shop has in 350 rem.

If you want a 350, go ahead and build one. I have one in a 673. It shoots amazingly well. I only bought it because I like the occasional odd ball as well.

I nearly bought a new 700 BDL in 350 magnum back in 1973. I bought a 300 Win mag for $20 more. Since then I've owned countless rifles in a myriad of chamberings. Always lamented not buying the 350 for the $169 price tag back then, so when the deal on the 673 came up I had to have it.

Yeah, there are lots of great catridges out there but the 350 will kill any moose or elk that walks the earth with ease and at respectable ranges. There are plenty of good .358 bullets out there for hunting.

Bringing back an slightly old thread, I have a Remington model 7 350 mag and it is by far the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. I did just change the barrel to a 22" Shilen that was ported still in 350 Mag. It still shoots in the .3's but with far less recoil. I have had excellent results w/ H-322 and just recently w/ XBR 8208 and the 200 gr Hornady bullets. Action is not trued or pillar bedded.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.