6mm Remington

Red hunter

I am not real familiar with this caliber and was wondering if this is a long or short action round. I have come across one for sale and it is in a wood stock. I was thinking about changing it to a synthetic stock if I buy it. So I was going to see what I would have in a new stock. It's a Remington 700 ADL.

6mm Remington is the same case as a 7x57 and .257 Roberts. I have no experience with factory rifles, but I suspect and hope they were built on long actions. Someone out there will know for certain.

Every 6mm Model 700 I've seen and owned, I've owned a few and have seen many, has been a short action.

Every 6mm Model 700 I've seen and owned, I've owned a few and have seen many, has been a short action.

+1 the 6mm is one of my favorites !!! I have a couple old BDL varmint special's and a 40x in 6mm ackly and in my part of the world they are my " go to's". ... And yes they are short actions!

My Ruger M77 Tang is a short action. Nice thing about the 6mm Remington is that it has such a long neck, you don't need a whole lot of extra magazine length to seat heavy bullets and still stay out of the shoulder area with the base of the bullet.

I've shot the 6mm in both long and short actions. The Remington short action is about the minimum it will work with when using some of the longer bullets, unless you seat the bullet deeper than the norm. No big deal, but still there. When using bullets like 105grain AMAX, and wanting to be close to the lands and grooves the long action is a little better, unless your using a longer short action. The Savage is roughly .18" longer and the Winchester is roughly .15" longer, and this certainly helps in these matters. I think in the Remington, the 6mmx55 improved would be ideal. Plus the velocity loss would be very minimal at the worst. To add to this issue, one needs to also take notice of the internal magazine length (not sure, myself as my one short action has the magazine filled and converted to a single shot). Of course if your just shooting 85 grain bullets this is not an issue to worry about. Plus the lighter bullets become another issue in the longer actions when trying to eliminate bullet jump.
gary

Love the 6mm Rem. I have a custom built 6mm on a Sako L579 short action. It is my number 1 deer rifle and has accounted for a couple of dozen or so. Killed them all with one shot using 100 grain Sierra Game Kings with H4831. Recently I switched over to 80 grain Barnes TTSXs running 3,400 fps. With the larger case capacity and 65,000 PSI max average pressure it is a much better choice for the hand loader than the 243 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.