6mm remington

ducmarc

was shooting my 6mm over the weekend 98 mauser a 1 in 10 twist shaw barrel was trying out some 95gr nosler ballistic tip 45gs of 4350 could not get a very good group 2.5" at a hundred . some of that is me . want to use it for coyote. should i try a light bullet or heavier or work with a differant powder. have about 10 lbs of 4350.any thoughts

When I get around a rifle that shoots that poorly I like to totally inspect the rifle for problems.
Here are a few that you should look into before you begin trying different powders and bullets.

Is the action properly supported in the stock? Bedding always helps

Is the barrel free floated or contacting the barrel channel?
If it is contacting the barrel channel is it tight or can the stock be easily pulled away from the barrel?
Irregular barrel contact with barrel channel can cause havoc with tight groups.

Are the action screws tight? Are any of them bottoming out in the metal of the action?

Is the barrel clean?
Is the barrel's crown in good shape?

Are the scope base screws tight with none bottoming out before becoming tight?
Is scope parallax free or close at 100 yds?

How about the trigger pull? If is it much above 4 lbs there is always a struggle to shoot accurately

You said some of it is you. What sort of support are you using to bench rest the rifle? Can you improve upon it?

There are probably a few I left out.

If all those possible issues have been addressed then you can move to handloading

You said you tried 45 grs of 4350. Did you try other powder charge weights? What is your method for finding an accurate load.

Check out your rifle. If it is sound, then please share with us your approach for finding an accurate load.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

thanks for the checklist AZ. its been glass beaded by a famous local gunsmith here in fla he installed the barrel also it has a target crown. i may change the scope its a tasco with the rangefinder turret .not real fond of it .i do have an early redfield. i question the bullet weight because i had about 6 rounds of factory remington 100 gr i shot at the same time and i barely made the paper. i know that was at the end of the day. i will check the scope and mounts for tightness. but maybe somethings amiss in the scope. or its not stablizing heavier bullets thanks marc

Marc,

Switching a suspect scope is a good idea.

Find out the twist. Can't imagine a gunsmith getting the wrong twist but stranger things have happened. 1 in 10 or faster is supposed to stabilize a 100 gr bullet.

You didn't mention the number of rounds through your new barrel. Has it shot well in the past or is it brand new?

You didn't mention your approach to handloading for this rifle. Factory ammo can shoot poorly while a properly put together handload could show the rifle's true potential.

Keep up the dialog.

Ross

i've had the rifle for a long time but haven't shot it much for one reason or another now that i have access to a range and a reason to hunt with it (coyote).counting this weekend its had about 50 rounds through it. when i've shot i've cleaned and lubed before and after going to the range.and i try not to heat up the barrel 3 round groups and i let it cool down. not sure thats the right way but i treat all my better rifles that way. i'm studying it on the couch it appears to me atleast to be 1 in 10 i took my cleaning rod pushed in the bore slightly marked it. pushed the rod in allowing the patch to turn the rod one revolution then marked again the measured the distance. is that correct? and the more i think about it i think that scope was suspect on another rifle on another occasion. marc

You calculated the twist same way I'd do it.

Shooting 3 and allowing the rifle to cool will promote longer barrel life.

Go back and work up a load for the 95 gr or any other bullet you want to shoot. Choose a seating depth that fits and feeds from magazine.

Then using a loading guide start a 3-4 grains under max and put together 4-6 rounds per charge weight and work your way up in 1 grain increments to the max charge. Go out and shoot your three shots and cool, and to the top load. It may be all you will have to do.

Come back here and share.

when a gun shoots a bullet into 2.5 its not likely to shoot it sub moa with any load. Id give something like the sierra prohunter 100 a try next.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.