remington 600

asa

I have a chance to purchase one with a worn out 6mm barrel just wondering is this a good action to build off. thanks

asa,
Yes, it is a very strong action and lens itself to a fine custom rifle plat form.

thanks I have a big boomer already and quite a few in between , I was thinking about a 6br or something like that.

asa
I'd pull the barrel and turn into a nice little 6XC... that would sure make it a great little coyote and deer rifle, especially for walking rifle... With the extra magazine length... you might want to look a slow twist rate for the 95gr to 107gr bullets. I have a walking rifle in 6XC based on the older Weatherby Varmintmaster action and stock which started out as a 22.250 Rem. Weatherby Mk V Varmintmaster 22.250 Had I not used the Varmintmaster action I would have looked very hard at the M600 like the one your looking at now.

Until you mentioned it I never heard of a 6 xc , to be honest i never had a lot of interest in the smaller cartridges but I have had a few freinds with 6br and such , it would nice to have a super accurate little gun to shoot , those 300 gr smk and 90 plus grain of powder can add up pretty quick. Also I am assuming a gun like this would have nil for kick as my kids are into shooting more now. thanks

asa
The 6XC has little noticeable recoil even with the heavy bullets pushed up in velocity. I've used the 6XC as a long range match rifle in other platforms out to 1000 yards with 107gr to 115gr bullets with great success both in the 6XC and the .243 WSSM. However as a light walking varmint /med game cartridge it's a real winner. Check out David Tubbs web site for more on it. DavidTubb.com.html

The rem 600 is a good platform I would also look at the 6x45 lapua It is a very good cartage

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.