rem 600

clemens

My wife has just inherited a rem 600 in .308. It has been sitting for 20+ yr. It is really dirty rust on bolt and some on receiver and barrel. Also severe dust on front lens. Question is what would be the best method for removing the rust on bolt etc.. Maybe a real fine steel wool or something similar. Or a solution of some kind. Poss canned air to remove dust from lens and maybe a lens cleaner. The scope is a leapold mountaineer 4x so lenses are small. Thanks for the help.

I would recommend an electrolysis method of rust removal. Cheap and proven method of removing just the rust. A web search will give you many ideas and options.

The 600 is a great little rifle...........I wish I still had mine.

The 600 is indeed a great little rifle. Mine was in .243, but I traded it off a couple of years ago. I never got her out of the locker any more, so I figured she needed a home where she could see daylight occasionally.

Seems like there might have been a trigger problem with that model, you probably want to research that before you hunt with it or take it to the range.

I have used CLP break free spray it let it sit for a day or two then fine steel wool remove most of the rust the a polish wheel on a bench grinder with some mild polishing compound. And the bolt looked like new..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.