Remage rifle fun to build and accurate!

Albritton

92E5159E-FCF1-464D-9AF4-F44045F9E0F7.jpeg
49553961-8697-4C01-A045-4D0D402E0267.jpeg
I just built my second .308 REMAGE rifle and it shoots. On my first build I used a Criterion REMAGE Match SS light Varmint clipped to 22" oal. Finished setup came in at 11lbs and was front heavy and unbalanced for my liking so I ordered a Criterion REMAGE Match SS heavy Sporter barrel and clipped this one to 20" oal.
This new build parts:
Remington trued single shot action, Tubb Speedlock firing pin, Criterion REMAGE Match SS 18" barrel with 11 degree crown, Timmney Calvin Elite trigger (10 oz), SS PTG ADL trigger guard, H.S. Precision Sporter stock, Murphy Precision Picatinny base, Seekins 30mm low rings and topped with a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x50 CDS Side focus scope.
Took me less than 30 minutes to install the barrel and set the headspace. It is very well balanced and after initial barrel breakin is producing true sub 1/3" groups with factory Hornady Amax match 168gr Ammo.
I just placed an order for a Mcmillan Remington classic stock to finish the build, the HS stock length of pull is to long for me and I don't care for the thick grip and wrist.
I also ordered a set of Burris XTR 2 piece bases to lower the scope and get rid of the extra weight the heavy Murphy rail has (great rail, built like a tank but to heavy and high for me).
I really like the set up, nice thing is that anybody with a moderate amount mechanical abilities can build a rifle that easily rivals all but the best custom rifles out there for a lot less money and exactly the way you want it.
NOTE!!!!!!!! My Criterion REMAGE light varmint barrel, HS Precision PSV004 varmint contoured stock and the Murphy Precision picatinny base is all for sale in the classifieds. All of those items are basically new as I said I didn't like the weight and balance of the original build so I bit the bullet and am lettin em all go below cost obviously.
Let me hear bout your REMAGE builds!

Last edited:
This is something I have been toying with for a while. I like the concept a lot. What pushed you to do it? Is it just the ease of rebarrleing when you burn this one up? Or do you see yourself swapping out barrels to tailor to the type of shooting/hunting you intend to do?

View attachment 123656 View attachment 123655 I just built my second .308 REMAGE rifle and it shoots. On my first build I used a Criterion REMAGE Match SS light Varmint clipped to 22" oal. Finished setup came in at 11lbs and was front heavy and unbalanced for my liking so I ordered a Criterion REMAGE Match SS heavy Sporter barrel and clipped this one to 20" oal.
This new build parts:
Remington trued single shot action, Tubb Speedlock firing pin, Criterion REMAGE Match SS 18" barrel with 11 degree crown, Timmney Calvin Elite trigger (10 oz), SS PTG ADL trigger guard, H.S. Precision Sporter stock, Murphy Precision Picatinny base, Seekins 30mm low rings and topped with a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x50 CDS Side focus scope.
Took me less than 30 minutes to install the barrel and set the headspace. It is very well balanced and after initial barrel breakin is producing true sub 1/3" groups with factory Hornady Amax match 168gr Ammo.
I just placed an order for a Mcmillan Remington classic stock to finish the build, the HS stock length of pull is to long for me and I don't care for the thick grip and wrist.
I also ordered a set of Burris XTR 2 piece bases to lower the scope and get rid of the extra weight the heavy Murphy rail has (great rail, built like a tank but to heavy and high for me).
I really like the set up, nice thing is that anybody with a moderate amount mechanical abilities can build a rifle that easily rivals all but the best custom rifles out there for a lot less money and exactly the way you want it.
NOTE!!!!!!!! My Criterion REMAGE light varmint barrel, HS Precision PSV004 varmint contoured stock and the Murphy Precision picatinny base is all for sale in the classifieds. All of those items are basically new as I said I didn't like the weight and balance of the original build so I bit the bullet and am lettin em all go below cost obviously.
Let me hear bout your REMAGE builds!
My first Remage barrel was/is a Criterion 7RM. Very accurate and has over 1200 rounds and still shoots great.
20160508_132905.jpg
225 yard group
In my experience those Criterion barrels last very a long time.

I have a remage with a mcrees precision pacnor barrel, guaranteed 1/2 moa with factory hornady eld match ammo. it shoots .437" 6 shot groups with the factory 147gr and less than 3/8" with 140gr handloads using the exact load data hornady used to put on the box. will buy again! also just got in my criterion 22-250 7 twist remage barrel, havent fired it yet!

This is something I have been toying with for a while. I like the concept a lot. What pushed you to do it? Is it just the ease of rebarrleing when you burn this one up? Or do you see yourself swapping out barrels to tailor to the type of shooting/hunting you intend to do?
Actually I have used production rifles for huntin whitetails my whole life. Bought many rifles over the 50+ years of huntin Whitetails. Some would shoot some wouldn't. I never owned a custom rifle so I started researching custom built rifles. Went into sticker shock and noticed almost all would only garauntee 1/2" groups. I happened upon an article on REMAGE rifles and said to myself "I can do that and build what I want" . I am 63 and am runnin outta time so I bought my action, barrel, REMAGE nut, action wrench and tapered lug from Northland Shooters Supply. Bought a lug lapping tool and Clymer headspace gauges from Brownells. Put it all together in about 30 minutes, mounted barreled action in stock, mounted the scope and went to range and found out I had built my own factory Ammo shooting SUB 1/2" "custom" rifle for half or more of the cost of a made by somebody else custom rifle.
Both rifles I have built shot sub 1/2" or better with Hornady AMAX match ammo! Its easy, cheaper and more fun than buying someone else's "custom" rifle........GO FOR IT.

The first one I built was a 7mm RM finished at 26"with a heavy sporter 9T Criterion barrel. It flat out shoots the 180gr H VLD with H1000.View attachment 123788
Yes it flat out shoots! I have realized similar groupings at extended ranges also. My huntin buddies all want me to build them one, I said I will loan ya my tools and coach ya but ya need to build your own it's easy and you will have the satisfaction of doin it yourself.
I suspect Gunsmiths/rifle builders may have disdain for this setup and I feel for em but that's progress.

FYI ....... I have the first Criterion light varmint contour REMAGE barrel for sale in the classifieds if anyone wants to try building one even cheaper. Its as accurate as the one on this rifle, I quickly figured out after breakin and sight in that I had built a heavier rifle than I had intended to for the climbing tree stand huntin I do. Check it out in the rifle parts forum.

I'm doing the very same thing right now. I could have written the first paragraph of #7 myself. Congratulations on your success with the new rifle and I'm more excited about my own build more than ever.

I have a Montana rifle in 6.5 x 284 and it is one hole without all that effort but building it yourself is a joy.

A barrel can be changed in 30 minutes. No effort at all and probably a fraction of the cost. You can use the same action and stock and shoot a different caliber every day.

A barrel can be changed in 30 minutes. No effort at all and probably a fraction of the cost. You can use the same action and stock and shoot a different caliber every day.

Taggin' in (and a related question)....

If a fella had a Rem700 long action (magnum bolt face) and wanted to shoot a "short action" chambering (7mm-08), is that possible?

Was thinking to accomplish this, a new bolt (with proper bolt face) is all that would be needed (and the appropriate barrel and head space gauges of course..)?

The bolt face will have to match. I'm shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor in a long action.

I'm a savage guy, but the but process is the same.

Jim at NSS is the expert. He can answer all your questions

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts