Remage question

Smokepoles

I took a new 700 sps, changed the trigger and put it in a game scout. I tried a few loads before bedding it to see if it would shoot at all and well, it doesn't. The best I can get out of her with the hand load ladder tests I've tried is around 1 1/4 Moa. Question is can I just rip the barrel off and screw one on with a nut and remage shoulder, set headspace and expect it to shoot or will it need to be squared and what not? Also does anyone know if the remage nut will be an issue in a game scout? The stock is pretty thin around the lug area and I'm not sure how far a could sand into it. Also keep in mind that it is not currently bedded, I wanted to see how the barrel did before a married it to the stock. It will be bedded when it's said and done, it's a hunting rifle that I'd like to shoot around 1/2 moa. Thanks in advance.

Think about it this way... The nut makes contact with the front of the action face, and the bolt makes contact with the chamber and the brass. Wouldn't you want it to be in 100% full-contact? I'd have it trued regardless of standard barrel install or remage install.

I took a new 700 sps, changed the trigger and put it in a game scout. I tried a few loads before bedding it to see if it would shoot at all and well, it doesn't. The best I can get out of her with the hand load ladder tests I've tried is around 1 1/4 Moa. Question is can I just rip the barrel off and screw one on with a nut and remage shoulder, set headspace and expect it to shoot or will it need to be squared and what not? Also does anyone know if the remage nut will be an issue in a game scout? The stock is pretty thin around the lug area and I'm not sure how far a could sand into it. Also keep in mind that it is not currently bedded, I wanted to see how the barrel did before a married it to the stock. It will be bedded when it's said and done, it's a hunting rifle that I'd like to shoot around 1/2 moa. Thanks in advance.

You would probably have to use a dremel and cut out enough room in the stock to make room for the nut. I have no experience with the Remage so i cant say how it would shoot, but Savages dont have a problem shooting well so i wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks guys, I'm aware of the floating head in savages and the squaring procedure on the Remington's and the benefits/flaws. I'm mainly curious as to the results of barrel nutting a factory 700 action I guess. Obviously rem still can't drill scope mounting holes straight so I'm sure the action isn't perfect but is the factory barrel the main accuracy killer or is the out of square lugs/face? This is only a 4-500 yd carry gun, 1/2" moa would be perfectly acceptable in this one, I'm not sure it needs the trueing job to get there. Any thoughts? Thanks

My 700 7mm Rem Mag does fine without blueprinting or truing with a Criterion Remage bbl. It is Devcon bedded with the nut floated. In a HS precision stock.
This is typically for 200 yard groups from my hunting bag.

Attachments

• 20160824_123017.jpg
    20160824_123017.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20160508_092553.jpg
    20160508_092553.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 105
I did a Remage in 7mag and didn't true the action. It is in an XLR Chassis but seems to shoot very well at long range. 1/2 moa should be doable. I would have had the action trued but didn't have the cash.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts