Rem 700 LTR LH Trigger Options

PilotRPI

Just bought a 700 LTR. It has an X Mark Pro trigger and I'm thinking about upgrading. Thing i,s it is a lefty rifle. It looks like Timney makes a left-hand Remington 700 trigger. Any other options I should go for?

If I go with Timney, any reason to get one without the safety lever?

I plan on using this rifle both for bench shooting and hunting.

Thanks!

Jesse

Welcome to the wonderfully frustrating world of being a southpaw. My name is Outlaw & i'm your club president.... :cool:

Timney does make a trigger for your rig (I have one). A lot of folks like them & they've been around for a long time. That being said, I prefer a different manufacturer. The wide shoe on the Timney I have just doesn't agree with me. Don't let my preferences scare you, Timney has a very good reputation. I would however, recommend you DO get one with the safety lever. You may never use it except for that one time... It's better to have it & not need it.

Jewell makes a great trigger as do a few other manufacturers; Huber comes to mind. Personally, I have more Jewells than anything.

1-Timney
2- Jewell
1- Shilen Match
1- Reworked old style rem.

t

PS- If you've never ordered a custom trigger before, pay attention to which model you order. Most are available with & without Safeties & bolt releases. Heck, the last Jewell I bought has the safety placed inside the trigger guard.

Last edited:
nobody makes a trigger that is as nice as jewell. they are the nicest i've shot. I had a buddy put a timney in a rifle and if you ask him how he likes it he says it ain't a jewell. If you interested in a factory LH old style remington trigger to have worked just pm me and we'll try to work on a price. the reason i have a factor trigger to sell is because i replaced it with a jewell

This is a somewhat unrelated question but I'm curious about something. The factory trigger in your LTR, is the trigger (the actual part you put your finger on) smooth or is it like the old style 700 trigger and have grooves in it??

I ask because I have a 223 (it's a 223ai now) LTR that I bought brand new some years back and it has the old style trigger but I've never seen any other LTR's that had a trigger like mine. Something is weird about mine because it's never ever been adjusted and it breaks like glass at 2lbs. When I had it rebarreled and turned into a 223ack imp I asked the gunsmith that did the work if they could make the trigger any better than it was. After dry firing it a couple times and measuring it's pull weight he told he'd only be taking my money because he didn't see how they could make it any better. I'm not even 100% sure it's the old style trigger because all the other old style 700 triggers I have the mechanism on those is just a regular blued steel and the one on my LTR isn't. It looks like it's nickel or something more like the X Mark Pro but the actual trigger is like the old style. Anyway, just curious if yours is smooth or grooved.

I think it is smooth, but it is an x mark pro, as it has the screw poking out of it.

Mine actually breaks really nice. I adjusted it down to about just over 4Lbs (testing with a fish scale). No overtravel. I'm going to keep going with the little screw and see if I can get it down a little further.

I'd love something around 2.5 lbs, and without that stupid screw. I want to hunt with it eventually. And I don't want anything in there to catch a glove. Seems like a stupid place to put an adjustment.

Not sure how the hell remington can advertise 2.5-4.5 pounds for the x mark pro when most people can't get it below 4 pounds.

This is a somewhat unrelated question but I'm curious about something. The factory trigger in your LTR, is the trigger (the actual part you put your finger on) smooth or is it like the old style 700 trigger and have grooves in it??

I ask because I have a 223 (it's a 223ai now) LTR that I bought brand new some years back and it has the old style trigger but I've never seen any other LTR's that had a trigger like mine. Something is weird about mine because it's never ever been adjusted and it breaks like glass at 2lbs. When I had it rebarreled and turned into a 223ack imp I asked the gunsmith that did the work if they could make the trigger any better than it was. After dry firing it a couple times and measuring it's pull weight he told he'd only be taking my money because he didn't see how they could make it any better. I'm not even 100% sure it's the old style trigger because all the other old style 700 triggers I have the mechanism on those is just a regular blued steel and the one on my LTR isn't. It looks like it's nickel or something more like the X Mark Pro but the actual trigger is like the old style. Anyway, just curious if yours is smooth or grooved.
You sir have the only factory remington 700 trigger that breaks crisp at 2# I would hold on to that gun it might be a unicorn.

I've got an old style Rem 700 trigger on my heavy 30-06 that is really nice. It's an early '90s built rifle. The armorers at Quantico tuned the trigger for me and seems like they knew what they were doing.

The trouble I had with the xmark pro triggers was that both of them broke at that adjustment screw. I must have barely tapped the trigger while pulling the stock. Didn't even realize the triggers were broke until after a while. Just be informed that it is fairly fragile. Knowing what I know, I would not trust it on any extended back-country trip.

The xmark pro,

Timney flat trigger,

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.