700 Rem trigger options

Longshotlefty

I have a new 700 SPS in 300 win mag. I'm not impressed with the new X-mark trigger. Would you take it to a good smith and have it worked or just replace it? What aftermarket trigger do you like and why? The gun will be 90% long shots at coyotes and might go as a back up on elk hunts.

Ive worked on remington triggers and tried Shilens, Timney, Rifle Basics, and I have started putting Jewell Triggers on all my custom builds pulls the same every time and you pick the weight of pull not the quality of the trigger help make that choice for you. They are 100.00 more but once you have one you'll want to have one on all your rifles. I charge 230.00 installed but it is money well spent.

+1 for the Jewell. I bought one from Great Scott Shooters Supply for $215tmd and installed it myself in under 15min. Money well spent. The xmark was alright, but nothing compared to this.

+1 for the Jewel. I also like a well tuned older Remington trigger. Just got a Milspec300WM equipped with the Mark X trigger. What a piece of junk! Even if the adjuster screw worked, and brought the weight below 4.5 pounds, the adjuster screw would have probably sliced my finger.

hit or miss with the X mark trigger I have one on one of my builds and it is clean and crisp at 1-3/4 pounds but then again its completely rebuilt. pretty sure Im gonna change it out to a shilen this summer.

hit or miss with the X mark trigger

This seems to pretty much sum up the X mark. The one I had on my Sendero, I couldn't get below 3lb, I have heard of guys getting them to 2lb or even a little less, I have heard of guys that can't get them less that 4.5lb. Just kinda depends I guess. With mine, the actual feel of the trigger itself wasn't bad at all, but I desired to set it drastically lower and was never gonna be able to do that without some serious work on the trigger, or buying a Jewell. Well worth the money. With that said, there are a lot of good triggers out there, but I took the advice of many people whose exact words for the most part were "Once you have a Jewell, you'll never put anything else on." I would agree with that at this point. Probably the best upgrade that I think anyone could make to a factory rifle.

I have Timneys on every 700 I own, But I have recently had the opportunity to try a couple of jewell triggers and My long range rig is getting a Jewell... Timney is great.. but Jewell is better

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.