Rem 700 AWR in 338 RUM, opinions?

sport22

Hi guys. This question comes from the other side of the atlantic ocean, from Sweden.
I have found a nib Remington AWR in 338 RUM, Left hand. What is a little stange about this gun is that it has a 24" barrel even though remingtons website shows that these calibers have a 26" barrel. The gun was originally ordered to the shop as a 338 WIN but it is in fact a 338 RUM, with the barrel lenght of a 338 WIN.
I have two questions:
1.What do you think of this gun as a long range setup? I realize that the combination very light rifle and big caliber might be a big accuracy issue. But apart from this, will this caliber not do well in this barrel lenght?
2. Is there any way of finding out with remington any info about this gun? The issue with the barrel lenght is alittle strange to me.
Thanks

You can call the Remington Custom Shop and get all of the info on the build. I have a left hand Remington AWR in 375H&H with a 26" bbl. I am not sure I would want one in a large caliber rifle in 24" bbl. I have AWR in 300win on order and it will have a 26" bbl. I am by no means an expert but I would think a 338RUM should also have a 26" bbl.

i don't think 2" in barrel length, will make much difference. a 338 is very efficient at burning the powder. on the other hand, if you have a gun with a 24" barrel that's supposed to be 26", maybe you have something that could be worth something some day. don't claim to know much about that kind a stuff but i'd thought i'd throw it out there. i'm sure your gun can be a very efficient long range killer.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.