Rem 700 6.5 CM Hitting to the right

Put up some wind flags next time he shoots. You'd be surprised what a 1 or 2 mph breeze will do at 500 yards. Very seldom is there zero wind or mirage for a 500 yard stretch.

As in, make the 500 yd correction but still shoot at 100 and see if the only change is elevation?
Basically the same as what i suggested. When at 100 yards and dialing up as if shooting 500 will work as well. Only thing to note is that it may be harder to tell as at 100 yards you will only be off 1" to the right. If 100 yard range is easiest to access just confirm zero at 100, dial up 10 moa shoot a group, dial up 20 moa shoot and you should see the groups start walking to the right.

A colleague has a new Remington 700 in 6.5 CM. He has a picatinny rail with Vortex rings and a Vortex Diamondback scope. He has worked up hand loads and had the gun grouping well and zeroed at 100 yds. He backed up to 500 and still the gun was grouping well but was impacting about 5" to the right of center.

He removed the scope, rings and rail to check if everything was tight and seemingly aligned correctly. He reinstalled the rail and rings, lapped the rings and reinstalled the scope. Took it back out, re-zeroed it at 100, moved back to 500 with the exact same result.

I have never encountered this type of problem and really didn't have a direction to suggest, has anyone experienced this and if so what are the common things a person should be looking for?
This would be my check list:
-Check that the scope is mounted "parallel" to the line of the barrel, tall test performed, and scope level properly attached… and used when shooting. Comparable grouping at both 100, 500yds infers that the scope/mounts are secure.
-Confirm 100 yard zero…….Double check parallax at zero! Confirm 200 yard vertical POI. This a a common issue!
-Check wind. At 500 yards a 4-5MPH full value wind will move POI approximately 5", spin drift may account for approximately 1".

Yeah I calculated that a 140 AMAX would drift 5" with a 5 mph wind. But the OP's friend took the scope off and remounted it with the same 5" POI to the right. Makes me think the chances of the scope being off due to either canting or tracking are higher then 5 mph wind both times. But it is possible.

Guys, thank you for all the recommendations. I have forwarded them to my colleague and I think he now has some very solid starting points to resolving this issue. I knew if I posed the question to the group on this forum there would be some valuable knowledge and experience available to weigh in. It is much appreciated.

Guys, thank you for all the recommendations. I have forwarded them to my colleague and I think he now has some very solid starting points to resolving this issue. I knew if I posed the question to the group on this forum there would be some valuable knowledge and experience available to weigh in. It is much appreciated.
Accept it as a reliable factor, rarely is anything perfect or as we want them to be.

A colleague has a new Remington 700 in 6.5 CM. He has a picatinny rail with Vortex rings and a Vortex Diamondback scope. He has worked up hand loads and had the gun grouping well and zeroed at 100 yds. He backed up to 500 and still the gun was grouping well but was impacting about 5" to the right of center.

He removed the scope, rings and rail to check if everything was tight and seemingly aligned correctly. He reinstalled the rail and rings, lapped the rings and reinstalled the scope. Took it back out, re-zeroed it at 100, moved back to 500 with the exact same result.

I have never encountered this type of problem and really didn't have a direction to suggest, has anyone experienced this and if so what are the common things a person should be looking for?
I've had this same issue with a few rifles. When I started competing at 600 yards, my groups would be solid but off to the side. I finally got it dialed in by getting directly centered at 200 yards. Not sure why but that fixed mine. Probably work fine at 300 but didn't trust the weather. 200 dead center during decent conditions has me placing 1st and second now in the local 600 matches

Last edited: