Rem 700 6.5 CM Hitting to the right

Black Tail Hunter

A colleague has a new Remington 700 in 6.5 CM. He has a picatinny rail with Vortex rings and a Vortex Diamondback scope. He has worked up hand loads and had the gun grouping well and zeroed at 100 yds. He backed up to 500 and still the gun was grouping well but was impacting about 5" to the right of center.

He removed the scope, rings and rail to check if everything was tight and seemingly aligned correctly. He reinstalled the rail and rings, lapped the rings and reinstalled the scope. Took it back out, re-zeroed it at 100, moved back to 500 with the exact same result.

I have never encountered this type of problem and really didn't have a direction to suggest, has anyone experienced this and if so what are the common things a person should be looking for?

Last edited:
Are the receiver screw holes aligned correctly....
Front could be off to left....
Rear could be off to right...
Both could be off to left....

Your scope is not level. As you dial up or hold over your inducing an angle in your shooting. If you dial scope back down to 100 yard setting and shoot at the 500 yard target you should hit center of target but low. If that checks out good dial up again and if still hitting 5" right then definately scope level issue, or internal tracking issue.

All of this is assuming there is no crosswind you didnt account for.

I thought creedmoors would be left leaning ;) Sorry I couldn't help it. I vote that the scope is canted to the right. Or the scope is tracking is off. Mark the scope with a sharp pencil. I mark the scope right where the rings split and mark off the lower ring. And loosen the rings and turn the scope slightly to the left. Tighten and try it out at the next range day. Rinse and repeat if needed.

Your scope is not level. As you dial up or hold over your inducing an angle in your shooting. If you dial scope back down to 100 yard setting and shoot at the 500 yard target you should hit center of target but low. If that checks out good dial up again and if still hitting 5" right then definately scope level issue, or internal tracking issue.

All of this is assuming there is no crosswind you didnt account for.
This would be a good test, i will suggest it.

I thought creedmoors would be left leaning ;) Sorry I couldn't help it. I vote that the scope is canted to the right. Or the scope is tracking is off. Mark the scope with a sharp pencil. I mark the scope right where the rings split and mark off the lower ring. And loosen the rings and turn the scope slightly to the left. Tighten and try it out at the next range day. Rinse and repeat if needed.
This is totally fine, its not my rifle HAHA. I was going to utilize the "man bun" suffix but held off since i was actually trying to help resolve a problem haha.

2 good articles on this . hope this helps .