Rem 700 22-250 needs a barrel wich cal?

JE I am more than willing to form brass and I reload all my ammo now anyway. I was just wondering if there was anything out there that would be fun to own and easy to get ammo for in the middle of nowhere..

Well I was just informed by my fiance that she is going to buy me a gun as a wedding present.. So now I have my 22-250 action that will probably get a 6X47.. At least today thats what I am leaning towards.. Now I have to figure out what she should get me..

It wont be a custom but she will probably spend about 1200. If you guys had 1200 bones what would you buy and why? I live in nevada wide open spaces and lots of wind. I mainly hunt in oregon in big canyons.. Thanks for any and all help.
Dusty

Last edited:
Well after some more research I have learned that it seems the 6X284 doesnt have much bennifit over the 6X47. It seems that the peeps at 6mmbr.com think its just overbore and the extra case and size of the 284 and the lack of good bullets make it tough to keep ammo together and utilize the extras the 284 can offer. Plus the 284 is much harder on barrels than the 6X47...
So now I am liking the 6X47 or the 6X6.5X47mm. I just dont want to have to fireform cases and having a selection of stock ammo would be nice. I am not sure if you can get 6X47 over the counter. But if Idecide to go wildcat I am really liking to looks of the 6X6.5X47.. That pesky 6mmbr keeps sticking around making me think it would be the easiest cal to shoot without much work..

So now I ask does the 6X47 offer that much more than the 6mmbr? would it be worth the effort to go that way? How much shorter would be barrel life with the bigger brass?
Thanks again for all the help

It offers less in terms of velocity and trajectory.=Example=

The 6x47 will push a 85gr bullet 2900ft/sec+ or - a little.
The 6mmbr will push the same bullet 3000 ft/sec + or-.
The 260 will push a 100gr bullet 3150 ft/sec.

I know velocity is not every thing but when shooting longer ranges it does help.

If your looking for something to equal or best the 22-250 in range and wind bucking
the 6x47 will not.

As far as barrel life there is very little difference in these calibres.Most will give you a lifetime
of service with proper care and cleaning.

My advice would be to decide what you expect from the standpoint of Range,trajectory,
down range energy at your max range,wind drift,brass and bullet availability and performance
on game to be hunted . then make your decision and stick with it, Indecision will drive you
crazy and you will allways wish you should have done something else.

This just some advice from an old timer that has been there and done that.

Plan your work and work your plan.

J E CUSTOM

Most of you all know LOTS more than me but I would still pick a 243AI.

Easy to get GOOD brass for, lots of load data, not known as a barrel burner, a variety of powders and bullets that work well and in a pinch you can shoot standard 243 ammo. What more could you ask for! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.