Cal.22-250 / AI

paal

Hello

Need advice from you.
I'am about to rebarrel my 22-250.
Maybe i go for the cal.22-250AI.

But i cant make up my mind about the twist.
Just love the 40-50grs V-max pills.....
Will be shooting out to -->500mtr.

What do you recommend...?

Hi,
I have a 22-250 AI in 14 twist, it likes anything 55 and under.

If you want to stay with the higher velocity approach, as I did. 50-55 gr bullets will be your best bet. Anything less has a very low BC. and the wind drift becomes large. I would suggest a 52gr. A-max. Out of a 26in barrel you can get around 4050fps. This load yeilds very good trajectory out to 500yards, and wind drift isn't bad. PD's out to 400 are almost a gimmy but 4-500 gets a little trickier. If most of your shots will be from the 4-500yard range. You may want to go with a 9 twist and shoot the 69-75gr bullets. Initial velocity will be significantly lower but the BC wins in the long run and wind drift at 500 yards is decreased by 5 inches considering a 10mph wind, bullet velocity is actually higher at 500 yards, energy is about 30% greater, and there is not much sacrifice in trajectory.

Hope this helps

It's me again...
rolleyes.gif

I'am going to punch paper, and YES i want to kill something
wink.gif

Most shooting between 100-300mtr. But sometimes out to ->500mtr.

Just to add a little info about deciding to go with the AI. You will get about 200fps increase in velocity with 55gr. bullets, with longer case life. You do have to use up barrel life forming, but the forming loads I use are plenty accurate for PD's at moderate range, so they are definatly not wasted.

I think you would be happy with a 14 twist and 50-55gr. bullets, there are plenty to choose from and a well placed shot does a number on anything from PD's to deer at the ranges you mentioned.

It's not absolutely necessary to form with loaded ammo it can be done with a little bit of fast burning powder and cream of wheat. I shoot 50grainers out of my 25" Pac Nor three grove barrel at 4125fps I think I will always have a 22-250AI around! I think it has a 1 in 14 twist.

[ 03-20-2003: Message edited by: CZECHTECH ]

Ok, quick question for you Ackley nuts out there: I'd heard/read somewhere that the Cream O' Wheat method was actually a bit rough on the throat region. Any experiences yay or nay?

Actually, now that I think of it, I do remember where I read that, in 'A Varmint Hunter's Odyssey' by Steve Hansen. Their gunsmith told them that, and they (author and his shooting buddy) opted to have a spare beater rifle factory barrel chambered w/ the same reamer simply for use as a fire-forming gun, to save the throats on their high $$$ varmint rigs.

Comments? (other than those guys have *way* too much money and free time if they really do that ;p )

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.