Reloder 26 270 win eldx/ sierra

Highvoltage

I started load development for new custom 270 Winchester with 145 eldx and 140 Sierra game changers. Does anyone have any experience with either bullet using reloder 26? I was getting some very impressive velocities but only 1 group out of 12 was anything to write home about. Most were in the 1-1.5" range. I'm just curious if anyone has had luck with this combo or if I should look into a different powder. Thanks

I forgot to add it's a 10 twist.

A lot of people are saying good things about it. I haven't tried it yet as I have a lot of MagPro and 150's to shoot up. If you have good velocity data pick your load with the smallest ES and run a seating depth test. I bet you can dial it in.

If it's a lightweight build (sub 7.5 lbs scoped) I'm pretty happy with 1" groups. If it is a heavier rifle I'm definitely shooting for sub MOA with my hand loads. Trigger time shrinks groups as well, that's why my .223 and .22 rimfire rifles get a regular workout.

A lot of people are saying good things about it. I haven't tried it

Me too!

RL26.jpg

It's fairly lightweight, 8.25 lbs scoped. I use a bench bipod to try and add some stability and a rear bag. I have some imr and h4350 also, I may try to see if anything stands out. I will point out every load shot over 3100 with those combos and a few just over 3200. Reloder 26 is a good powder for sure from a velocity standpoint.

It's fairly lightweight, 8.25 lbs scoped. I use a bench bipod to try and add some stability and a rear bag. I have some imr and h4350 also, I may try to see if anything stands out. I will point out every load shot over 3100 with those combos and a few just over 3200. Reloder 26 is a good powder for sure from a velocity standpoint.

What ever you do, just make sure you only change one variable at a time. If you don't you'll have a hard time figuring out what worked for you to shrink your groups. I'm not a fan of bipods off a bench, I think they're great tools when shooting in the field from field positions. So the first thing I'd try is a different front rest, it doesn't have to be anything expensive as plain old sand bags are great for this. My reasoning behind this is, if bipods were great front rests for bench shooting then why don't benchrest shooters use them?

What ever you do, just make sure you only change one variable at a time. If you don't you'll have a hard time figuring out what worked for you to shrink your groups. I'm not a fan of bipods off a bench, I think they're great tools when shooting in the field from field positions. So the first thing I'd try is a different front rest, it doesn't have to be anything expensive as plain old sand bags are great for this. My reasoning behind this is, if bipods were great front rests for bench shooting then why don't benchrest shooters use them?
Bipods aren't easily adjustable for windage and elevation, vs benchrest rests capable of both. I've shot some good groups off a bipod but finally bought a good BR rest and wouldn't look back!

I tried to get Reloder 26 to shoot the 145 ELD-X's but couldn't get below an inch with my Kimber 84. I shoot a Barnes 130 TTSX with great luck in the same rifle with 0.5-0.7 MOA the norm. It smokes a 130 at about 3200 FPS with no pressure signs and nice round primers. I believe it's 63 grains of RE26.

I like the Barnes I've had good luck with them in my 300 Winchester but was looking to develop a load with either the eldx or Sierra. I also have a bunch of 150 game kings I might try. They shot great in front of rl26 in a tc venture. I'm sure a different powder would do the trick since neither manual recommends rl26. I was hoping for good velocity with a higher bc bullet but it doesn't seem like it's going to work out

Try RE23. I use that with my 140 TSX load in the 270. That might work better. I have 200 145 ELD-X in .277 if you're interested. I think if I loaded them nearer the lands it would have worked better but I have a short mag box.

Recent Posts