Reloading room and gun/safe storage in a out building?

LongWalker

We're more than likely going to be moving from the Nashville area to the FL panhandle in the next few months. Looking to get some space (2-5 acres) and I'm thinking about doing a metal garage/workshop and thinking of putting all my reloading gear and safes out there instead of inside the house. Will be climate controlled and obviously alarmed but it still makes me a bit nervous.

Anyone else have that kind of setup?

Not trying to add to your stress, but that'd make me more than a little nervous, as well.

I have a friend here in Denver that is building "Fort Knox" in his backyard to accomplish this same task.

He has done a significant amount to weather-proof and intruder-proof his shop, but still worries a ton - about both.

I have that setup. Little over 2 acres and guessing 12x12 insulated and dry walled with heat. Love to put ac in but pretty sure the old lady would nut me. I think the best thing I ever did was to fence it. Can't remember what it's called but it has 2x4 inch square and 60 inches and wasn't too expensive. I ran a string of barbed wire about 6" above it. Only used metal fence posts except the corners so it makes it a pita to try and get over. Add a dog or 2 or , throw up some cameras and some signs. Knock on wood, no problems yet, 20 years

Thanks for that. I did think about keeping the big safes in the house and just reloading and working on a rifle or two at a time (scope mounting, etc). Could put a small safe to hold a couple three guns so I don't have to tote them back and forth every night

Thanks for that. I did think about keeping the big safes in the house and just reloading and working on a rifle or two at a time (scope mounting, etc). Could put a small safe to hold a couple three guns so I don't have to tote them back and forth every night
Not a bad idea, I've got 3 safes in mine and they suck up a lot of room. Another thing I like about my setup is one of those roll around locking tool cabinets. All those little gizmos add up and I keep a couple pistols in there.

mostly farmland in my area. My place is visible from my house plus to get to my building I need to drive past a couple of good friends. I have received calls from them telling me there was a vehicle in the area.
a WiFi security system would be great

just do the best you can. Document it and insure it. Plenty of pictures of all.
put u a good door on shed and bolt the safe to the floor.
-be sure to gate the entrance. that will be more helpful than anything. That and a good yappy dog.

What part of the panhandle are you looking at?
From north Pensacola east as far as Defuniak so Pace, Milton, Crestview, etc.

I've heard that meth production and trafficking has moved into Pensacola proper and moves west on I-10. A look at recent crime statistics seem to confirm that.

I have all my gear out in the shed. Have purposefully left the shed looking kinda daggy, kinda thing that you'd store some garden tools and other assorted sheet ... no-one in their right mind would have guns and ammo stashed in there.

Last edited:
Locks are made for Honest People.
If I were to put a container outside may house and turn it into a reloading/gun shop I would insulate it with air condition/heat. Then put a special locking system on it with a perimeter alarm. Have the alarm system activated when the building is approached not just broken in to. Putting an outside building up is a invitation to get broken in to. Also don't ever tell or show anyone (family, friends, neighbors) what is in the building or what you are use it for. If anything it is for junk storage. You would not believe how fast word travels. "Hey did you Know Jon made a GUN and RELOADING building in his back yard"