Reloading - Is it still really worth it?

First of all I am not trying induce depression or deter people from starting to jump into the world of hand loading. I just am trying or shed some light on the real costs of this wonderful hobby I finally picked up a couple of years ago. For the competition shooter or the individual looking for consistent top notch accuracy out of their rifle, it will always make sense regardless of the costs. However, with the current cost of components, it is shocking to add up the cost of a hand loaded cartridge.
I just ran a quick component estimate for a round of 7RM using the cost of recent component purchases. I am approaching $3.00 per round in raw materials without factoring in the equipment/tool expense or time commitment. I realize that the cost of premium factory ammo is often times more expensive, but the wow factor of current reloading cost has me looking at the amount of times I visit the range and how many rounds of what rifle I will be firing.
In the end it reinforces the buy cheap and stack deep approach to reloading. Panic buying due to the FOMO syndrome is not a smart move.
I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.
For what it is worth ...

Only you can make that decision. I started reloading as a learning process and progressed from where I am today to understand better what it takes to accomplish LRH/S.

In my part of Texas, .22-250, and .25-06 are scarce as hen's teeth. If they can be found, they are not in the load and bullet weight my rifles like. .223 is readily available if you want FMJ, and only FMJ. I was lucky enough to purchase my press and accessories long before they went sky high, price wise, and also, a goodly amount of components from a friend going out of the gun store/ammunition business. I have some contacts at the local range where we swap components, tips, and recipes for favorite loads, so, yes, for me, reloading is well worth it. Besides all that, it's fun!

I have the same problem with 25-06, so I make my brass from .270 and reload for it, too. 6mm Remington is becoming impossible to find brass for, though.

I didn't start reloading to save money,

I did! That was my main reason was to be able to shoot more for less $$. Glad I started 10+ years ago, as with anything you have to shop!! Just because some dealer has but it's to much and you know if you wait you can find cheaper... wait! Prices will never come down if every time componets drop they sell out in hours, prices will stay up and go up. I have been fortunate to have good places to buy locally and as well as trading. Even 10 years ago I was reloading cheaper than than factory. Even with the high cost today you buy all new shopping around and still beat factory prices. Save your brass and roll your own

You think getting started in reloading is going to save money in the first year? First 2 years? First 5 years? Depends on how much you shoot, how many different cartridges you shoot, and WHAT you shoot.
Don't forget to add the price of all the tools, your set up, and your time to reload. Lots of overhead there. Too many people don't think about or add those costs into the reloading price.
Press, dies, shell holders, case lube and pad, bushings, expanding mandrels, calipers, headspace gauges, bullet comparators, trimmers/pilots and collets, tumblers and media, funnels, scales, electronic chargers, trickler, bullet pullers, tools, case prep tools, annealing tools/machine, reloading bench, electricity, TIME, trips to the range to do load development (gas, range fees, vehicle wear and tear, targets, TIME again).

Then you have components.
Most serious people don't reload with the cheap components. I don't know a single person who loads their own Rem or Win PSP type bullets. Sure, once you buy your brass, it will last if you are not running them hot. But look at Nosler brass prices, ADG, Peterson, Lapua, Alpha. All are $1-3+ per piece of brass. That is $20-60+ per 20 right off the bat. Add primers nowadays ($.07-.13/ea), powder at $40-60/lb, premium bullets at $.40-1.00+/ea, and those add up. Add the cost of an ammo box.

Let's figure two scenarios. 6.5CM and 7RM. Both using middle of the road components.
6.5CM= $1 (brass), $.08 (primer), $.27 (powder @ 42.0gr @ $45/lb=167 rounds per lb), $.45 (bullet). $1.80/round or $36/box of 20. Not bad at all. But don't forget to add all the overhead costs. And don't forget to add all the component costs to get you the final load.
7RM (let's go on the higher end for this) = $2.50 (Nosler brass), $.10 (primer), $.55 (powder @ 70.0gr @ $55/lb=100 rounds per 1lb), $1.10 (bullet for something like a 169 Hammer). $4.25/round or $85/box of 20. Price drops to $1.75/round on your second reload, as you save on the brass costs. Again, add the components used in load development. And all your above mentioned "overhead" in getting set up.

Running to the local gun store and buying whatever is on the shelf seems to make more sense financially if you don't shoot more that 100 rounds a year in a rifle. But, you are at the mercy of how well and how consistent factory ammo shoots. For 500 yards and in, most factory ammo should suffice. Shooting 1000, and you need a lot more consistency than most factory ammo can deliver.
You mentioned all the negative side of startup/reloading

You didn't mention the plus side.
Customizing ammo to a specific gun. Killing a animal with your personal load.
Enjoying reloading.
^^ PRICELESS ^^.
IMHO

I think you could make the same analogy regarding general aviation. Why buy a Cessna 172 and fly yourself around the countryside when you can just buy a ticket online and get a plane ride to anywhere in the world? Sometimes there is inherent satisfaction in doing a task yourself as opposed to others doing it for you. Self reliance has largely become a lost art in this country.

First of all I am not trying induce depression or deter people from starting to jump into the world of hand loading. I just am trying or shed some light on the real costs of this wonderful hobby I finally picked up a couple of years ago. For the competition shooter or the individual looking for consistent top notch accuracy out of their rifle, it will always make sense regardless of the costs. However, with the current cost of components, it is shocking to add up the cost of a hand loaded cartridge.
I just ran a quick component estimate for a round of 7RM using the cost of recent component purchases. I am approaching $3.00 per round in raw materials without factoring in the equipment/tool expense or time commitment. I realize that the cost of premium factory ammo is often times more expensive, but the wow factor of current reloading cost has me looking at the amount of times I visit the range and how many rounds of what rifle I will be firing.
In the end it reinforces the buy cheap and stack deep approach to reloading. Panic buying due to the FOMO syndrome is not a smart move.
I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season.

yes it's worth it.

270win- who really carries heavy projectiled (165/170/175gr) ammo for it? heck even those projectiles are hard to get as it is, and most factory rifle don't have the twist required for them.

6.8- haven't seen factory loaded 110gr accubonds since……. well let's just say since nosler bought out SSA i haven't seen it since

300blk- subsonic ammo is expensive, and i really do load ammo cheaper than factory load subsonic ammo

358win- *chuckles* yea, ok. factory ammo is something i rarely purchase outside of forum deals and LGS, and i don't see it on the shelves on any of the LGS i visit, nor on forums.

realistically, i'm about .55-.85 deep in to each 358 round i load depending on what projectile i use

beyond that, fine tuning a load to make small groups is a foundation for me reloading.

Yes, it's definitely worth it. Think of the therapeutic bliss it provides. Just like alcohol, it's cheaper than a psychiatrist, lol.

Attachments

• poliuytre,mnb998765ew234567uii.jpg
    poliuytre,mnb998765ew234567uii.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 88
Right before the start of the pandemic, I got started reloading after a good while of learning the basics.

My motivation was the craft - optimizing for the sake of optimizing feeds my OCD nature I guess.

But now I am *very* glad that I started when I did, even though it became quite a bit more expensive in the interim. It didn't hurt that I found some 215M/210M and RE23, N560, etc. powders early on that were in the sweet spot for my 270/7mm magnums.