Reloading in Hampton Roads

DocB

Windsor, VA (but heading for the Rockies)
I'm putting together my kit for reloading and need to locate reliable sources of components in the Hampton Roads area.

I'm willing to travel within reason. I live near Suffolk so pretty much most of northeastern NC and southeastern to mid Virginia is within reason.. Glen Allen and Winchester would be stretching it but the view would be worth the drive.

Specifically looking for reliable sources of powder (H-1000), brass, bullets (Berger Hybrid/VLDs, AMAXs 190gr and heavier), and Federal GM215 primers. This is for 300WM.

The handgun stuff seems to be plentiful, so no issues there for 10mm, .357mag/.38 special.

If, during this process, local shooting and reloading buddies are found... that would be... Awesome!

I appreciate the help.

Thanks...

Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

Never Forget.... Never Forgive.

did some drinking and shooting in the hampton roads area back in the day. Even did a bit of bracket racing in suffolk but uncle same did all my reloading back them. Pretty area you live in though.

Welcome to the area,,Bob's in dowtown norfolk has some things ,,the armory on Indian River Road,then there's the bass pro in hampton' Have found that it's easier to order from Cabelas or one of the many other mail order stores....

Nobody that I have found specializes in reloading in this area... Powder has been the biggest problem this spring , had to pay the hazmat charges , but got enough from Powder Valley and 3rd generation sporting goods to last me for a little while.

Best of luck' oh I forgot theres a place in suffolk called dachells, don't know what they have , Haven't been out there in a while.....

Welcome to the area,,Bob's in dowtown norfolk has some things ,,the armory on Indian River Road,then there's the bass pro in hampton' Have found that it's easier to order from Cabelas or one of the many other mail order stores....

Nobody that I have found specializes in reloading in this area... Powder has been the biggest problem this spring , had to pay the hazmat charges , but got enough from Powder Valley and 3rd generation sporting goods to last me for a little while.

Best of luck' oh I forgot theres a place in suffolk called dachells, don't know what they have , Haven't been out there in a while.....

Thanks grinderdog,

I'll have my wife check out Daschels' in Suffolk. What's the going rate on hazmat charges from Cabelas?

As far as the area is concerned, I've been in HR for almost 30 yrs, just new to reloading with everything going on and the outrageous prices for good boxed 300WM ammo. First chance we get we're moving from the oppressive humidity of tidewater to the mountains of Colorado. But it doesn't look like that will take place for awhile. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info!

DocB

My Uncle lives in Winchester, VA. From what I've been told, it's a nice place.

Been to VA a couple times when I was really young, so I don't remember a whole lot about it, other than Gettysberg was a cool place.

I think the standard charge is 27.50 up to x amount of lbs. I have been down here for almost 30 yrs also, and I to want to get back to some mountains, grew up inthe Roanoke valley, used to having the vast national forest to wander around in, And I like my rifles,,, very few places in tidewater to hunt with a rifle .Tried a couple of slug guns but just not the same, I think it has something to do with all this flat ground, with no ridges to climb....

had to laugh at the humidity thing. I reported there in july and being from nothern Michigan thought i was walking into a blast furnace when I stepped off the transport plane. It was so bad that day i thought it was hard to even breath.
Thanks grinderdog,

I'll have my wife check out Daschels' in Suffolk. What's the going rate on hazmat charges from Cabelas?

As far as the area is concerned, I've been in HR for almost 30 yrs, just new to reloading with everything going on and the outrageous prices for good boxed 300WM ammo. First chance we get we're moving from the oppressive humidity of tidewater to the mountains of Colorado. But it doesn't look like that will take place for awhile. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info!

DocB

had to laugh at the humidity thing. I reported there in july and being from nothern Michigan thought i was walking into a blast furnace when I stepped off the transport plane. It was so bad that day i thought it was hard to even breath.

Almost like stepping off the plane in Dubai, Bagram or Baghdad, wham!! it hits you square in the kisser and takes your breath away. (just no humidity.. only the heat!) The humidity on our farm gets so bad, my wife sits on the porch swing and looks out across the field watching the birds fly around and drink the air! :)

I called a gunsmith buddy of mine in Suffolk, he said to get in contact with Mac's Reloading. He's local also and does the Hampton Roads gun shows. He also made remark of the shortages and how long it's taking for supplies to return. It's almost like all ammunition and reloading components are being kept off the market as a means of back door gun control. Wouldn't put it past Holder and the boys.

My wife and I really aren't crazy about hunting in Va either. Send a bunch of starving dogs out chasing a scared to death, adrenaline filled deer towards a line of power poles with a slug gun and a 6 pack on every pole. It sounds like downtown Ramadii when the poor deer shows itself! That ain't hunting in my book. That's just 'deer-acide!'. :) No offense Va hunters. I was just brought up to stalk and hunt, respect the animal and to kill with one precision shot.

Welcome to Tidewater lloydsmale. It's a nice place to live and tons of great places to visit near by. Busch Gardens and Water Country are great fun the military gets an awesome discount. If you are in to American history, you are in the center of it. Just up 460 is the Petersburg/Richmond battlefield, on the peninsula is Yorktown where the 1st Revolution was won, awesome concerts at the amphitheater, and Tides Baseball at Harbor Park can't be beat. I hope that you get out and enjoy the area when you get the chance.

Hope to meet up with you guys when I get home.

Thanks Guys,

DocB

Doc im not living there now. I was stationed on little creak base in the early 70s. With my bad back id doubt if id ever travel down that way again. Pretty area though. I loved the yorktown area and had a ball in suffolk drag racing. Is the track still going there?
Almost like stepping off the plane in Dubai, Bagram or Baghdad, wham!! it hits you square in the kisser and takes your breath away. (just no humidity.. only the heat!) The humidity on our farm gets so bad, my wife sits on the porch swing and looks out across the field watching the birds fly around and drink the air! :)

I called a gunsmith buddy of mine in Suffolk, he said to get in contact with Mac's Reloading. He's local also and does the Hampton Roads gun shows. He also made remark of the shortages and how long it's taking for supplies to return. It's almost like all ammunition and reloading components are being kept off the market as a means of back door gun control. Wouldn't put it past Holder and the boys.

My wife and I really aren't crazy about hunting in Va either. Send a bunch of starving dogs out chasing a scared to death, adrenaline filled deer towards a line of power poles with a slug gun and a 6 pack on every pole. It sounds like downtown Ramadii when the poor deer shows itself! That ain't hunting in my book. That's just 'deer-acide!'. :) No offense Va hunters. I was just brought up to stalk and hunt, respect the animal and to kill with one precision shot.

Welcome to Tidewater lloydsmale. It's a nice place to live and tons of great places to visit near by. Busch Gardens and Water Country are great fun the military gets an awesome discount. If you are in to American history, you are in the center of it. Just up 460 is the Petersburg/Richmond battlefield, on the peninsula is Yorktown where the 1st Revolution was won, awesome concerts at the amphitheater, and Tides Baseball at Harbor Park can't be beat. I hope that you get out and enjoy the area when you get the chance.

Hope to meet up with you guys when I get home.

Thanks Guys,

DocB

Lloyd, if you think the humidity in VA is bad, come to Alabama about this time of year....It will literally take your breath away if you are acclimated to another climate before you step off your flight.

Born and raised here in Alabama, but when I spent a week in California doing construction work, and got off the plane here back home, I had acclimated myself to Cali's climate, which is very dry and not very mild, it took my breath away when I got off the plane.

personaly ill stay right where im at. Sure we get tons of snow in the winter and cold temps but id take 0 anyday over a 100 degrees with humidity you can about cut with a knife. Summers here are about perfect. We get maybe 5 days of that humid 100 degree crap but its usually in the 70s.

Yeah, 70's would be nice. I wish it would stay 65-75 for 3 months, 85 for 3 months so we could go to the lake, then 0-65 for about 6 months of winter for deer huntin & rut. That would be my perfect climate.

Doc B your deer-acide comment is why I go back to west of the blue ridge, as described in the vdgif website. because no dogs allowed for deer , don't like the taste of adrealine that much either...and i'm with you it's all about the stalk.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.