Acceptable Tolerances in Reloading

Are you getting consistent measurements on your fired brass?

Yes, still some variation maybe the first 1-2 times a batch of cases are fired but not as much variation, then after a couple times being fired it seems to tighten up even more, due to what I figure is them being completely evenly fire formed at that point but I'm no expert that's for sure.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm using a CO-AX and all Forster dies (full length sizer and micoseater). Once I find the load I like for a particular rifle I usually never touch the locking O-rings again. I even have 2 full length sizers for both my 7mm rem mags so each is set for a specific rifle. Bullets I'm using in this batch are Nosler Accubonds. Measuring with mitutoyo calipers with Hornady bullet comparator (seating depth) and head space gauge (case sizing). I am measuring to bullet o-give and not the tip. If I just measure individual bullets before seating I get pretty good variations in base to o-give as well... I can look at my notes and post some numbers. I do get much tighter number with Bergers, but these are Accubonds. Interesting suggestion on the tip bottoming out in the stem... never thought of that and will have to check it out but I don't get any tip deformations??? Would the regular Accubond be consider a low-drag VLD narrow bullet design? These are not the LR version of the AB's. Thanks for the replies. Gives me some things to think about for sure.

I too have the co-ax and use mostly forster dies. All the newer forster dies have VLD seating stems.

I know the hunters love them some Noslers. I must say the ballistic tip is most popular with deer hunters where i live and the accubond is a great large game bullet. Use them myself.

That said they are not in the same league with berger as far as consistency and ballistics.

But then the Nosler has always been a hunting bullet and berger has always been a target bullet. Accept them for what they are. Seems both are crossing over these days.

As for the inconsistency in your shoulder.bump. could it.be the your brass is mixed with some with many more reloads.than others? You should keep your brass sorted by times fired. As the brass work hardens the spring back changes.

Yes, still some variation maybe the first 1-2 times a batch of cases are fired but not as much variation, then after a couple times being fired it seems to tighten up even more, due to what I figure is them being completely evenly fire formed at that point but I'm no expert that's for sure.

Exactly. That is why the custom die makers want you to send them brass fired 3 times. They figure it will be fully fireformed by then

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.