What is acceptable variance in length?

Not really. If you use the comparator, no matter what OAL, at least the bullet O-give will be consistent as far as distance to the lands on all rounds. You will then see that the rounds will all measure the same as you will be eliminating that .005" to .010" of variance in the very tip, that means nothing you. The end results will be that all rounds will have the same jump to the lands. I urge you to try this.:)

Jeff

Please take Jeff's advice and only use the OAL gage from hornady that measures the base to the ogive of the bullet. This is the only true meaningful measurement that you can use with repeatable performance. This has to be done with every bullet brand, design, and weight. I also do it with every lot change just to ensure lot to lot variances are accounted for.

Not really. If you use the comparator, no matter what OAL, at least the bullet O-give will be consistent as far as distance to the lands on all rounds. You will then see that the rounds will all measure the same as you will be eliminating that .005" to .010" of variance in the very tip, that means nothing you. The end results will be that all rounds will have the same jump to the lands. I urge you to try this.:)

Jeff

Thanks for the help and suggestions. This is what I will be doing in the future as soon as I get the tool! Thanks

Jeff,

What about for your prepped brass? What tolerance do you try to hold?

Thanks for the help and suggestions. This is what I will be doing in the future as soon as I get the tool! Thanks

Jeff,

What about for your prepped brass? What tolerance do you try to hold?

I let it go about .005" to .010" over my trim length. Usually I like to keep them all within .005" of each other.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.