What tolerance do you guys accept

Jakeweb09

When it comes to full length sizing your brass, what tolerance do you expect or tolerate on headspace? Does it have to be within .001? Exact? I can't seem to get the same number every time and trying to see if I'm being to picky. I'm shooting for 1.556 but sometimes get 1.555. This is on a 6.5 creedmoor with Redding competition premium dies

I guess it depends if you are competing at 1000 yards or just shooting cantaloupe at 600-800 yards. .001" is fine to me as long as I know I have .002-.003" for hunting and just playing around. I am able to get much more consistant readings now that I use a Redding body die first. Annealing every few loadings helps along with lubing inside and outside the necks. Hold it there a few seconds at the bottom of the stroke to help get a consistant size application while in the die.

there are a few things that I've found really help to get this about perfect .
lube , you need a good lube that reduces friction between the brass and die .
I use the redding competition shellholder sets . these allow the die to stay in contact with the shellholder so the press has cam over .
annealing , I anneal every cycle . as you keep sizing , and firing the brass it gets work hardened , requiring you to push the shoulder back a little more to get the same measurement .
here is a current thread on this with many replies . I should mention it's turning into a spitting contest .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.