what would you do?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by xdeano, Jan 2, 2012.

1. xdeano

xdeano Well-Known Member

I picked up a bag of 100 brass, (mfg undisclosed), of which 6 of them had some nasty tooling marks on the necks. I will not be using these brass.

What would you do, just cull the 6 pieces and for get about it.
    or
    Contact the company and complain.

Not much of a complainer but damn for the cost it should be better than that.

xdeano

[​IMG]

2. CRNA

CRNA Well-Known Member

If it were expensive brass, then I would complain. If it were cheap brass, then I would chuck it and forget it.

3. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

If you PAID for 100 pieces, then you should get 100 PIECES of usable brass. Manufacturer doesn't matter to me. I'm getting 6 more USABLE cases!!

Why will you not disclose the maker?

4. xdeano

xdeano Well-Known Member

i just didn't want a pissing match is all. I basically wanted a level playing field no matter how much i payed for brass. I'm not going to be the one who give a mfg a bad name. I'm a decent fellow and a lot of people read these forums.

Thanks guys,
    xdeano

5. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

I complained to Nosler about some crooked brass (.004-.007" TIR).

They promptly replaced it eventhough I had shot the better part of the lot.

Anything can happen with large production volumes and the Mfg needs to know about it.

They should've caught it. But, they can't fix it if you don't tell them.

-- richard

6. xdeano

xdeano Well-Known Member

Roger that. I'll give them a call tomorrow if I get time.

Thanks guys.

xdeano

7. Trikstr

Trikstr Well-Known Member

Looking at the picture it almost looks like it's just a rolled over piece that would come out when chamfered. If not I'd call 'em.

8. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

I'd chuck them in a collet (on the lathe) and touch that with a countersink. That would remove it.

On bulk brass from any manufacturer, shit happens. Humans are only human after all.

It's fixable.

9. xdeano

xdeano Well-Known Member

it's actually extra material that was pinched and compressed into the neck. I can get the microscope out again for an outside the neck pic of you'd like to see.

xdeano

10. xdeano

xdeano Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This won't just buff out. It's folded material. so the crease is all the way through the neck. The only way to get it out is to melt it. And that's above what I should do for the cost of this brass.

xdeano

11. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

You are not giving the mfg a bad name. Their product speaks for itself and shows a lack of adequate quality control. Just my opinion but if 6 showed up out of 500 or 1000 I'm more forgiving. But not much more.

The company will gladly replace your brass you paid for. They need to know about the bad apples.

12. Trikstr

Trikstr Well-Known Member

You are right, now that I see what's on the outside they are unusable.

13. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

You're not doing yourself, your fellow shooters, or the manufacturer any good if you do nothing or try to repair the defective pieces. I'd send the bad ones back to the manufacturer with a note of when and where I bought them. Send the factory bag or box if you have it .

Let the manufacturer decide what to do. As a minimum i'd expect six good pieces of brass back but that's not the important part. It's that the manufacturer recognizes the problem. If they ignore you then go ahead and warn your fellow shooters who the manufacturer is. 6% defective is a real quality control problem.