Reloading in the garage??

mrbofus

I would like to start reloading at my home, the only place that will work is my garage which isnt heated.
I use a space heater during the winter and can get it to 40-45 degrees, warm enought when wearing a jacket.

anyways my question is if I store my components in the house at 65-70 degrees and go to the garage at 45 degrees to load, will this temperature difference have any effect on the loads or components?

Thanks
MB

mrbofus,

No, it won't hurt a thing. May not be the most comfortable place to load, but you'll be okay. Cold ammo will perform a bit differently, but that's simply because the powder is cold when you fire it, not because it was cold when you loaded it.

Heat is another matter, when it comes to powder storage. Definitely want to keep it in a cool, dry storage area, such as inside an air conditioned house. In the rafters of an uncooled garage, or something of that sort, will cause it to degrade prematurely. And that WILL affect performance badly. Aside from that, you should be just fine.

Electronic scales perform sluggish in cold temps. best to use an electronic scale at 65 or above. Consider a beam scale for the garage. Have fun.

yes, not the most comfortable space but do spend a fair amount of time in the Garage. I am working on a better heater system but I get by.

How about storing the components in the garage with temperature swings?
Thats why I thought storing in the house would be better, however my crawl space stays fairly constant temp and somewhat cool and it is dry so that may be an option.

Unfortantly my man room is the garage.

I load in the garage as well. I keep all my primer, powders, bullets and brass stored in my house though since my garage is a detached unheated one. Works find. I just run the portable heater for awhile before I go out to load to warm it up

The temperature might keep you a bit more alert. I can't work in an unheated space because I swage my bullets and the temperature of the die affects it's performance when point forming and core swaging.

Bill

I am limited with my reloading set up also, I ended up screwing my press to a 4x4 block then I was able to clamp it to the kitchen counter. It serves it's purpuse now.

I load in the garage also BUT when i purchased my home the previous owner had made a sewing room for the wife by walling the garage in half and opening a door way into the room.
So now the "gun room" stays almost the temp as the basement in the 60 degree range the perfect temp for loading my ammo.

Reload in the kitchen? My wife would really like that.
Thats why the garage is my only option.

It was 5 below outside a week ago and I can get the garage to about 40.
My concern mainly is the temp swings. Is it best to store the components in the garage at 30-40 degrees in the winter, or store them in the house and take them to the garage to do the loading.

MB

I reloaded in the garage and was not a pleasant experience. Was cold, my press started to rust, and it just was not a good deal. You could try a mobile set up that would work. Your wife should understand that it is your house also. My wife would never tell me what I can do in my own home, and I would not tell her. There are no bosses in our house, it is a mutual agreement.

I load in the barn. Only reason is that I have no room in my tiny 19 century farm house. The only problem I have ever had to worry about is rust, keep your gear clean and you will have no problems.:D

I reloaded in the garage and was not a pleasant experience. Was cold, my press started to rust, and it just was not a good deal. You could try a mobile set up that would work. Your wife should understand that it is your house also. My wife would never tell me what I can do in my own home, and I would not tell her. There are no bosses in our house, it is a mutual agreement.

You are a lucky man, My wife is fairly understanding to my hobbies except for when I was cleaning rifles in "my room" and knocked over a bottle of cleaning solvent on the carpet.
after that the garage has become MY room. (penalty box)
There are no bosses in my house either, I just do what she says. LOL

kenny and mr mrbofus are right I had a great place in my garage unheated but it was with my
BRIDGPORT mill and other tools and it rusted all to hell and I destroide my beams.
if you went outside your loads would be in question, I have no understanding why any wife would have
a problem. your are not screwing around and not at the bars no drugs and as a home with you she should count her blessings.
that last quote was from my wife and both of my daughters.

Am I right guys?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.