Steps in the reloading process

patrick021

What steps should I take for getting the brass ready once fired from removing primers ,case sizing ,using a bushing ,annealing to seating the bullet? In what order should i take from start to finish to develope an accurate load. Thanks in advance

There are many varied opinions on how to complete the process.
My own steps are:
1. Clean necks using neck brush
2. Tumble (clean) the brass
3. Wipe down when removing from media
4. Deprime (using a universal decapping die)
5. Clean primer pockets
6. Anneal as necessary (based on number of times fired)
7. Resize (Full length or neck/bump - your preference)
8. Inspect (inside and out) for defects and wipe down to remove any lube
9. Size necks (bushing type neck sizing die followed by expander mandrel)
10. Prime
11. Charge
12. Seat bullets
13. Check CBOL
Shoot 'em

My process is a bit different.

I ultrasonic clean my brass (which leaves the primer pockets clean roughly 90% of the time; if not you can wipe them clean with a q-tip when you place them on the drying racks.)

1. Decap/deprime brass using a universal decapping die
2. Ultrasonic clean
3. place upside down (necks down) and let dry
4. Inspect brass for defects (check for impending case head separation from time to time)
5. Anneal as necessary (based on number of times fired)
6. IF ANNEALED, then brush out necks w/ nylon bore brush
7. Resize (Full length w/ 0.0005 to 0.001 shoulder bump including a neck bushing)
8. Prime cases
9. Charge (throw, weigh and trickle on a accurized beam scale each charge)
10. Seat bullets
11. Check Base to ogive on first 2 or 3 and then on random rounds to ensure dies are being consistent on seating depth.
12. Shoot 'em

This process does not include the case prep that goes into new brass...

JeffVN

This is my usual process for all of my brass:
Measure the case length of ALL cases and trim to min (trim-to length) if ANY are over this. Chamfer inside and out on the necks.
Tumble for a few hours, inspect for any defects like split necks, easier to see on clean cases.
Deburr flash holes and uniform them, my tool does both jobs.
Size the cases, whether it be neck or just bumping the shoulder, check for runout and sort them into groups. I don't know why, but my 264WM brass is notorious for having large amounts of runout before I even touch them from the bag?
Prime them.
Charge them.
Seat bullets and check runout again. I do the half seat, twist the shell 180º and seat all the way.

I call this handloading because every aspect of the process has been given as much attention to detail that I can humanly do without skipping any steps.
The other part of handloading is working up a load to get the very best accuracy you can from your carefully prepped brass. In small cases (up to 22-250 size), I like to load 3 cases in each weight and go up in .5gr increments, in large cases (308, 257 and up), I like to load 3 cases in each weight and go up in 1gr increments. Then, once I find the most accurate load, I load ladder tests in .3gr increments above and below the node, I look for wide nodes so that my vertical is fairly consistent at longer ranges.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
gun)

Question: You size the neck down THEN using expanding mandrel to bring back up to bore diameter? Shouldn't that be expand AND then neck size?

No, I don't think so. I neck size slightly smaller than the actual diameter I want, then use the expander mandrel to bring it into specs. The reason for that is, in my experience, neck sizing dies often spoil the concentricity and the expander mandrel helps to round out the neck to that it is uniform all-round and thereby improving concentricity. It also means that my neck tension will be more consistent when the bullet is seated.

Add #9 1/2, trim case length if needed.

Yeah, I knew I left something out of that. Thanks for making that important point. :)

Thanks for sharing your process. I'm going to start turning necks (as much to learn how as anything, as I've been told the process is unnecessary for hunting rounds). I typically shoot 300 RUM and 338 Edge. My question is, where in the process above would you insert neck turning? I'm assuming you have to size the neck and expand it before it will go on the turning mandrel? Just looking for someone to double check my logic? Thanks!

Marcus

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.