Reloading dies

muleyman

I am in the last stages of getting my rifle put together. It started as a Rem. 700 that has been re-barreled to a 280AI with numerous changes along the way. I have been a reloader for a long time but have almost used RCBS dies exclusivley. These seem to be about twice what Hornady New Dimension Dies and Redding want for theirs. Of the two what are your guys' thoughts, Redding or Hornady.

For a sizing die it would be a toss up, I have both, use both and like both.

For seating, the Hornady "in line" is far better than Redding's standard seating die and for $22 dollars more you can add the "Micro Adjust" which works well for seating to a consistent base to bearing surface length.

I don't understand why you state a large cost differential between RCBS and other mfrs' dies, unless your AI caliber is the reason. In standard dies, they're all (except Forster) usually within a couple of dollars of one another. I would have suggested Forster for your caliber, but they don't have the AI die.

The difference is in the type of seater. Forster and Redding's Competition dies use an alignment sleeve that greatly improves run-out reduction; the Hornady seater has a compromised version of that. Redding's standard and everyone else's dies lack the feature.

You apparently aren't giving consideration to a bushing-style sizing die. If you were, the Redding Type-S set would be a good choice, but you're paying for a micrometer seater to get the alignment sleeve feature.

If I were in your position, I'd contact Forster and see if their std. seater will work for the AI, and then choose someone's sizer to pair with it.

Last edited:
First you had better have a reamer print of your chamber reamer before you decide on dies. When it comes to wildcats and Ack Imp there are about 10 plus variations on each caliber and they vary wildly from mftr to mftr.

Discuss your reamer print with the die mftr tech reps and find out which one is closest to your chamber and buy that one regardless of who makes it.

IMO it is almost impossible to buy wildcat or Ack Imp dies off the shelf without doing this.

BH

I use a Wilson seater for my 280AI a Redding body die for sizing and Redding type S neck. 99% of my dies are bushing type so I haven't kept up with the other type so no help. You got a good caliber think of having another one build.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts