Reloading Dies

wfpack14

Hello,

I am looking for some information on the different types of reloading dies. I currently re load, I understand the seater die and the resizing die and what they do, but what I don't understand is all the different types of resizing dies. In looking at redding site, they have bushings, competition dies, standard etc. Any information on some of the differences would be appreciated...not just redding any thing.
Thanks

I like Forster and Redding dies myself. Both have tier one reputations, so you cannot go wrong with either. I started off with the older RCBS dies that cost $19.99 per set, then as I learned more as I went, now, all I have is comp seater dies and regular sizing dies.

Just my opinion here, but forget the bushing dies. All you need to do, (and it is a bit of a hassle-but it's only done once), is pick a brand of brass you intend to work with and seat a bullet into it, making a dummy round. Measure the outside diameter of the neck. Subtract .002 and send the sizer die back to the manufacturer and have them hone the neck to that diameter. Now you don't need an expander, you have less concern about runout, you won't overwork your brass as much, it will last longer, and you don't have to worry about any bushings or trying to figure out which one will work best.

Stay with a comp seater die.

The benefits of using a neck sizer die is realized more in the competition arena, where quick chambering and possible follow up shots on game are not an issue. You work your brass less with neck sizing only. IMO, it is best to full length resize hunting brass, to help ensure proper feeding. There are those who only neck size their hunting rounds and do not have a problem. But the risk is lowered with full length resizing.

Be sure you learn how to properly set up your sizing die in the press. I like to bump the shoulder back .001 when resizing. I use the RCBS precision Mics to check this and they work well.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.