Reloading Dies?

isu600rr

OK guys I have a simple question,

What kind of reloading dies are you using? I am currently using LEE and I am looking for a more precise and consistent Die for a 300Wm and Creed more.

Forster benchrest are my preferred dies. The ultras are the same dies with a micrometer head if you prefer that. I usually just opt for the ones without the micrometer head, they load ammo just as good.

I've been buying reading dies. They have always been consistant for me. I do have some lee's in 30-06 but I no longer have the 06. Bt reading has been my go to die.

OK guys I have a simple question,

What kind of reloading dies are you using? I am currently using LEE and I am looking for a more precise and consistent Die for a 300Wm and Creed more.

Precision and consistency run hand in hand. If your die is set up properly there should be no inconsistency; but consistently producing inaccurate reloads because of poor set up or quality control issues in manufacturing is bad medicine.
I've used RCBS dies for fifty years. Never been disappointed. But I do also use Redding dies for my competition reloading work.

most of mine are forster but I do have redding.

Forster are overall cheaper and I like them better.

My dies are working for plinking around but i want to get into precision and I am under the impression that lee dies are good for beginners but when wanting to get into the ultra precision game better dies are needed. Am I wrong?

I use John Whidden, RCBS and Lee in that order. They are all just fine. If you have inconsistent loads and accuracy issues, I suspect it's something in your loading procedures, not the dies.

My dies are working for plinking around but i want to get into precision and I am under the impression that lee dies are good for beginners but when wanting to get into the ultra precision game better dies are needed. Am I wrong?

You're not wrong, but in addition to the dies there are quite a few extra steps and tricks.

After a lengthy talk about expander buttons in another thread I will probably only use forster BR dies.

I feel like my reloading technique is consistent
clean
resize
clean primer pockets
trim
hand measure grans
seat, check for consistent OAL

I was using a lee 4 hole turret press but as i was using it i noticed the turret would cant every time i pressed so i just bought a lee single stage to eliminate that.

next purchase would be a run out gauge (Sinclair)?

The better the equipment the less run out usually. I have a rcbs chucker and if I took shooting more seriously I would have a Forster coax. I'm a bowhunter first, always have always will.

There is a video illustrating my statement using an inexpensive single press vs coax as well as basic dies vs competition dies. The best combination is what you'd expect.. the coax w/ the comp dies. The video however did not address arbor presses, which could be an interesting topic of discussion.

I use John Whidden, RCBS and Lee in that order. They are all just fine. If you have inconsistent loads and accuracy issues, I suspect it's something in your loading procedures, not the dies.

SidecarFlip

Question about your Whidden dies, are they bushing or standard dies?

Their website says their dies have tighter body diameters, tighter in the base and can bump the shoulders back further.

So is there a air gap between the die and shell holder or can these dies be set to have the press cam over?

And do you have any problem with sizing the case body smaller, it sounds like their dies are almost small base dies.

I do not have any Whidden dies and really Like my Forster full length dies. So my main question is do you see a big difference between the Whidden dies and your other dies and the end result.

I use mostly RCBS but have some of all brands. For the Wildcats, I use John Whidden's bushing dies. If the rifle is put together correctly, I don't see any benefit in some of the high $ dies.
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.