Reloading beginner equipment checklist help

Yeah I mean I want to get the best I can but I also don't want to get stuff I don't need or need yet. I find that all hobbies are potential for unlimited spend. Also buying stuff that winds up in the closet is almost part of the game.

I think I'm going to go with the Forster Original Case Trimming Kit. I'll sell and upgrade and eat the loses.

Is this the book you guys recommended? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...s2&tag=hobbytually-20&linkId=J5QRB6TNDWRLX77A

Yeah I mean I want to get the best I can but I also don't want to get stuff I don't need or need yet. I find that all hobbies are potential for unlimited spend. Also buying stuff that winds up in the closet is almost part of the game.

I think I'm going to go with the Forster Original Case Trimming Kit. I'll sell and upgrade and eat the loses.

Is this the book you guys recommended? The ABCs Of Reloading: The Definitive Guide for Novice to Expert: C. Rodney James: 9781440213960: Amazon.com: Books

I have that very trimmer. Get the carbide trimmer that champers at the the same time and get you an electric screwdriver and put it in place of the handle.

or just get this it is what I use now.

New Page 1

my forster trimmer is one of those things in the closet. Most people trim brass way too often.

How accurate is that Giraud power trimmer? It seems I'd need two of either the Giraud or the Forster 3 in 1. I'd probably hold off on the carbide 3 in 1 if I get the Forster trimmer. I'll add it as an upgrade at a later time.

How accurate is that Giraud power trimmer? It seems I'd need two of either the Giraud or the Forster 3 in 1. I'd probably hold off on the carbide 3 in 1 if I get the Forster trimmer. I'll add it as an upgrade at a later time.

the Giraud is dead nuts. fast as hell. headspaces off the shoulder like the cartridge in the chamber. They warn you if you don't full length resize your brass could be long.

I neck size only and have not found it is not a problemn

[ame]https://youtu.be/VUmzQZmU5oc[/ame]

i do not de burr the flash holes. studies in precision shooting magazine found it detrimental. i would get a primer pocket uniformer to clean primer pockets. i would not use a lead sled for any accuracy type shooting unless it was for a 378 weatherby. i would get a tumbler and walnutt shells.what caliber and rifle?

Any reference to this study? I can't find it for the life of me. This is what led me to want to debur Case Neck vs. Full Length Resizing. But nearly every process I read has a flash hole deburring step.

Any reference to this study? I can't find it for the life of me. This is what led me to want to debur Case Neck vs. Full Length Resizing. But nearly every process I read has a flash hole deburring step.

brass prep is a complicated and labor intensive operation. That is why everyone recommends lapua brass

no need to neck turn, debur and uniform flash holes and a myriad of other things you will read about.

I started out with range brass and found out very quickly what a PITA brass prep is.

With new lapua brass you full length resize and check trim length which I have always found to be fine, chamfer the neck, prime, charge and seat bullets.

As I have said in the past if you have a bolt gun I would get the lee collet neck sizing die and use it. They are very inexpensive and if you will read the reviews very effective.

brass prep is a complicated and labor intensive operation. That is why everyone recommends lapua brass

no need to neck turn, debur and uniform flash holes and a myriad of other things you will read about.

I started out with range brass and found out very quickly what a PITA brass prep is.

With new lapua brass you full length resize and check trim length which I have always found to be fine, chamfer the neck, prime, charge and seat bullets.

As I have said in the past if you have a bolt gun I would get the lee collet neck sizing die and use it. They are very inexpensive and if you will read the reviews very effective.
Problem is there is no Lapua brass for the 7RM. I can go with Nosler or Norma. Lapua for the 243 Win is already in my cart as well as Nosler 7RM.

I actually did read the Lee Collet die reviews. They are excellent across the board. But this gets me back to why I was thinking about returning the RCBS dies and going with the Redding Deluxe set since it has the 3 dies. If I need a full length and neck sizing die then the price could get me a a Redding Deluxe set which has all three. The Lee Collet Dies do not seem to come with the full length die so I'd have to get that separately. I must be missing something...

My 2 pennies...First I would go with redding hands down for a regular set or any of there die sets. They have been the most consistant dies I have used. For cleaning cases I went a cheap route that works very well but I also have a vibration/walnut case cleaner also. My cheapie is a rock polisher from harbor freight, stainless pins from harbor freight, and a extra large jar of my kids apple sauce (emptied). Dawn and lemi shine, cases look brand new. Most important advice, read you manual, have someone that reloads on a regular bases give you some help if possible, also there are some youtube videos as well. Starting out don't start loading at the book max charge. I do used the RCBS case trimmer that does not require shell holders and it works great. I reload for 4 different calibers. Only draw back is I think the cutters are a little soft on the metal. My sinclar never was changed out and the RCBS I have already changed it out after a year of steady reloading but I also like to shoot a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.