Reloader 33 (Alliant) for "lesser" calibers [than 338]?

Have any of you guys got a chance to do some temp sensitive testing? I would love to get another 50-100 fps out of the EDGE but not with sensitive powder.

I am getting 3,114FPS with 79.5gr of RL-33 in my 7mm Rem Mag with 168gr Nosler Accubond LR's.

Couldn't be happier!

It's something like 105% compression load but the bullets seat with no problem

I use a 4" drop tube

I have been wondering if RL33 would offer any advantages over Retumbo in a .264 Winchester Magnum. Haven't seen any for sale yet, so haven't had the chance to try it. Also haven't seen anything posted by anyone else about trying this powder in .264WM. Though Retumbo and H1000 are known to work well in 6.5-284, I am thinking RL-33 would be too slow for that cartridge. Thoughts anyone?

I am planning to buy the latest version of Quickload soon. Does anyone know if RL33 has been incorporated in QL yet?

RL33 is listed in the latest versions of Quickload at least in the one I use.

Benchracer what is the latest on R-33 in the .264 Magnum?

I am interested in the 6.5 WSM which is about 5 gr behind you I believe. I use 66.5 gr of Retumbo behind `140 gr Bergers most of the time.

I have some VV N-570 and Norma 217 that I have tried that are slower than Retumbo. Norma 217 is too slow even with 160 Woodleighs. N-570 has some promise but is large grained and sooty.

When I shot .264 Win Mag (I had 2 pre-64s) it was before Retumbo. I did backflips when Reloader 22 came out. H-1000 was another breakthrough. I tried H-870 and 50 BMG and never got much pressure. I even tried 1.5 gr of Red Dot over the primer with a case full of H-870 to try and get it rolling. No pressure. Velocity under 3000.

I am kind of new to the .264WM. So far, I have been using Retumbo with good results in terms of accuracy and velocity. I also hunted with light loads using RL22 because I was hunting at shorter ranges in the woods and was trying to minimize meat damage. That all turned out to be a moot point since the only thing I say was a crybaby doe (or maybe a little button buck, couldn't tell for sure).

I have ordered some RL33 to try out, but I am sorry to say that I won't have a chance to test it until April or May because I travel so much. My plan is to use 140g Berger Hunting VLD's and 140g Hornady AMAX's. I may also get my hands on some 160g Matrix VLD's to see what kind of velocity I am able to get from those. I don't have the twist to stabilize them, but if the velocity looks good I may have my 6.5-284 re-chambered to .264WM. It has the right twist to shoot the 160's.

When I do have the chance to test it, I promise to share my results.

Benchracer what is the latest on R-33 in the .264 Magnum?

I am interested in the 6.5 WSM which is about 5 gr behind you I believe. I use 66.5 gr of Retumbo behind `140 gr Bergers most of the time.

I have some VV N-570 and Norma 217 that I have tried that are slower than Retumbo. Norma 217 is too slow even with 160 Woodleighs. N-570 has some promise but is large grained and sooty.

When I shot .264 Win Mag (I had 2 pre-64s) it was before Retumbo. I did backflips when Reloader 22 came out. H-1000 was another breakthrough. I tried H-870 and 50 BMG and never got much pressure. I even tried 1.5 gr of Red Dot over the primer with a case full of H-870 to try and get it rolling. No pressure. Velocity under 3000.

I should be using some RL33 with my 6.5 WSM very soon. Will post results.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how well it worked with the 180 VLDs in the 7mm Rem Mag, but it's a bit too slow for the 168s. Just can't get enough powder in there to make it worth it. I'm running the 180s at 3105 and the 168s at 3030 with a 25" barrel.

I would love to get my hands on some of the 190-195gr bullets for the 7mm. I think this would be where the RL33 shines in the 7mm Rem Mag.

I reloaded some for a buddy using 33 in a 300 RUM sendero.

102.7 grains of powder with a 200 LRX Barnes pill. Just under 3300 fps. It was very scary filling that case and handing it over for someone to try. Accuracy is very, very good. I believe it is somewhere in the .5 inch at 100. I bought some to try in my custom 300 RUM if I can ever get my reamer from PTG. :rolleyes:

I was pleasantly surprised to see how well it worked with the 180 VLDs in the 7mm Rem Mag, but it's a bit too slow for the 168s. Just can't get enough powder in there to make it worth it. I'm running the 180s at 3105 and the 168s at 3030 with a 25" barrel.

I would love to get my hands on some of the 190-195gr bullets for the 7mm. I think this would be where the RL33 shines in the 7mm Rem Mag.

Bass,
Maybe my chamber is bigger than yours, but I can squeeze 79.5gr with a 4" drop tube and tapping the case a bit. It does crunch when seating bullets but they do stay in place once seated

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.