alliant/reloader powders

pjracer

worked up 2 loads in norma brass for in .280 rem and .270 win with RL 19 and 22 same lots in 90 degree weather all shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100yds.we had a cold front blown in overnite here in Texas and temps were in the 60s this morning. I took out same loads and each shot little over 1 inch group. I have heard these powders are temp sensative but by this much? made me question my scale, technique etc... should I switch to hogden extreme powders?

I do not have much experience with RL19 but I can tell you that RL22 is very sensitive to temp changes. I loaded up rounds for my 300wsm at what 'QuickLoad' indicated were slightly on the warm side but not excessive, by mid day I had to beat the bolt open to extract the round. Accuracy was great but......

They went from 1/2" to 1" in both guns? With two different powders?

I'd try them again on a warm day.

I always start with the Hodgdon powders and if that doesn't work I follow up with Alliant and IMR (or whatever I have on hand).

yes they did it in both. was really weird. i loaded 6 rounds of each and shot same group in each gun.

I shoot Re 22 in four different calibers, all loads are near or at max for the respective calibers. I've found all loads to be fairly consistent from 0 to 70 degrees, but from 70 to 90 degrees things can and do get a little scary.

Just like most powders, loads developed in the cold don't seem to do very well in real warm temps without a little tweaking.

Chris

Last edited:
I just had the exact same thing happen to me with power pro 2000mr.
At 60 degrees, 5 shots into .42 inches. Went back to the range on a
90 degree day and shot four 3 shot groups. The best group was 1.3 inches.
The load wasn't close to max either at 50.8 grains with 150 accubond. Max is

I haven't seen any accuracy issues with rl powders themselves, and I've burned a bunch and buy them in kegs. I do see the barrel/ bullet relationship changing a bunch depending on temp..
I had a load with my 7stw shooting in the .3"s at 100 yards in the 50-70 degree range with rl25 and a 171 barnes match, it puked to 2" or more when it got over 90 degrees outside. This is where it went wonky; I grabbed some hunting loads with rl22 and 140 sierra's, and right after I shot a crappy group with rl25 and a 171 barnes in hot weather, the 140's drilled 5 into an inch at 100 with a boiling hot barrel.
It turned out it wasn't the powder, but the bullet that was having problems with the high temperatures. I'm staying with tougher bullets; the match bullets for critters thing isn't for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.