Release agent for glass bedding??

Break Parts Cleaner for the barreled action. Acetone to clean the stock channel.
Modeling Clay any where I don't want the bedding compound, trigger recess, mag well, and 1.5" forward of the recoil lug.. Green Painters Tape on the rear and sides of the recoil lag. Johnsons Paste Wax on the steel. Devcon Steel Puddy as the bedding compound. thin felt spacer at the bottom of the stock as a buffer for the trigger guard. Wax the action screws. Add Devcon, install trigger guard, screws and torque snug. Let dry over night.

This is the stuff to use.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...aerosol-sku081028000-1045-3808.aspx?rrec=true
I love it. Simple. Works great. Lasts for a lot of bedding jobs. You pay (and cry) once - but you are so happy every time you use it. I'm a convert. Worth the money. It doesn't have 8 reviews that are all "5" for no reason.

It is easy to apply and the action does NOT stick and that is the goal. Besides, it was made just for this task. I'm sure other things "work", but sometimes it's nice to just use the 'correct' product and be done with it.
upload_2019-7-10_20-47-35.png

I've yet to have any problems with the blue gel stuff that comes in the Acraglas kits, but I have a secret... I thin it with alcohol. It dries faster and the coats go on very evenly (I use a small paint brush from my model airplanes) and it releases perfectly. Even if you get the stuff into places you don't really want it, it rinses out easily with a bit more alcohol. I've never felt the urge to even try anything else!
Cheers,
crkckr

Good day Lady's and Gentleman.

I have a question on release agents for glass bedding. I am looking for ideas since I do not care for the products I have used in the past. They worked but seem to be a pain to apply but did not release as good as I thought they should.. Lets get a discussion going on what you like and what you do not like. What have you all found that works the best? I know some of this stuff is based on personal experience based on how the product was used.

I have in the past used is the blue gel from Brownells that comes with there kit and kiwi neutral boot polish.

The blue gel that comes in the kit for me has worked better then kiwi boot polish. The thing I do not like about the blue gel is it takes time to coat it evenly and is hard for me to coat evenly. (there might be a trick I am missing) also it never seems to dry even after letting it sit for hours and when I go to put the second coat on it the first coat peals. I put it on as thin as I can.

The kiwi boot polish was a lot easier to apply BUT for me it did not release near as good as the blue gel that came in the kit. I even used it bedding scope bases and had trouble getting it to release of the action. again maybe its me.. LOL

Maybe you all have some pointers? But I would rather stay away from the two products mentioned above. I also cant help but feel theirs better ways to do it. With that said. The kiwi boot polish was very nice to work with. as in put on and clean up after the job was done. I just did not like the way it released.

Products I am looking at trying are. https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...aerosol-sku081028000-1045-3808.aspx?rrec=true

And also maybe a mold release like this stuff. There are different options on this page.https://www.grainger.com/category/l..._-Categories_Based_on_Your_Search-_-IDPPLACAT

Thanks for all that post on this subject.

David
Kiwi neural gets another nod.

I always used shoe polish till i found MANN MOLD RELEASE 200. This stuff is magic. I will never use anything else again. I have used with Devcon, Marinetex, and Acraglas it worked WONDERS for all. Nice and smooth very easy release.

Cheap simple Vaseline. A good coat and smoothed out with a hot air gun. Let it cool and your ready to bed. Nothing sticks to it and i have not had a problem in dozens of jobs.

I prefer the Brownells spray release agent it works well it's quick and easy clean up compared to some of the other products spray on a couple coats and there you go gets into all cracks and crevices

I have tried them all as well. I only use Mann 200 now. It's a spray on release agent and it's awesome. You can get it off eBay.

There are some really awful recommendations in this thread. The main focus seems to preventing the metal from sticking to the epoxy. If that is all you expect, you could use wheel bearing grease for a release agent, and based on the suggestions some may have.

Not gluing the stuff together is important but there is a couple other important things too. You need a good fit and most people like it to look good. If your release agent is thick and/or gooey, you aren't going to get either of those.

There are some really awful recommendations in this thread. The main focus seems to preventing the metal from sticking to the epoxy. If that is all you expect, you could use wheel bearing grease for a release agent, and based on the suggestions some may have.

Not gluing the stuff together is important but there is a couple other important things too. You need a good fit and most people like it to look good. If your release agent is thick and/or gooey, you aren't going to get either of those.

Spot On !!!!

I'm not going to push Any of the suggestions including mine so here is something to think about.

What you look for in a good bedding job Is fit. Thick uneven release agents don't produce this.

The other thing to be concerned about is the reactive ability of what you use to the compound.

This is the reason I like the hardening type wax because when you wipe it off it leaves a very smooth surface and cant be shifted during
bedding. also when it dries it is cloudy and you can see if there are any areas not covered.

The quality of the release agent has a lot to do with the quality of the bedding job just like the bedding compound it's self.

Use what you want, but live with the results.

J E CUSTOM

Spot On !!!!

I'm not going to push Any of the suggestions including mine so here is something to think about.

What you look for in a good bedding job Is fit. Thick uneven release agents don't produce this.

The other thing to be concerned about is the reactive ability of what you use to the compound.

This is the reason I like the hardening type wax because when you wipe it off it leaves a very smooth surface and cant be shifted during
bedding. also when it dries it is cloudy and you can see if there are any areas not covered.

The quality of the release agent has a lot to do with the quality of the bedding job just like the bedding compound it's self.

Use what you want, but live with the results.

J E CUSTOM

Both you and Edd are spot on. Many will learn the right way, others will learn the hard way and a small group never learns at all. So much of the internet now is about what "works" as opposed to what works best. People can claim whatever credentials and experience level they want to just by saying so. Hard to tell who really are the experts. We can only provide the best advice possible, taking it is up to the reader.

If your release agent is thick and/or gooey, you aren't going to get either of those.

That's the biggest problem with the blue gel from Brownells. I am looking for a release agent that goes on smooth' fast and thin. Thats why I was looking at the spray on stuff.

I have a feeling I did not word it right, to begin with.

After all fit and finish are what we are after.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.