redfield revenge....how well does it work?

boattailed bandit

Okay so I toyed with the idea of getting a revenge a long time ago but opted with a nikon prostaff with mil-dot and couldn't be happier. However I have been looking at the revenge again and I just get more and more involved with it. I like the idea that I can bracket a deer and get my range quick and easy with no math. However there are things that concern me regarding the scope. How accurate does it range? From my understanding you bracket the deer, and a horizontal line rises or falls to correspond with a range indicator on the reticle, much like their tombstone version in vietnam. Now my question is how easy/hard is it to distinguish exactly where your at? For instance if I bracket a deer and the line falls between 3 and 4, how easy/hard is it to estimate where your exactly at with your range? To me there would be a big difference between 325 yards and 348 yards, or maybe there isn't and it would be easier to tell than I give it credit. Also there are supposed to be drop marks on the bottom post that correspond for the range. How well would these work? Ranging is ranging but their dot for 300 yards wouldn't be able to work with every rifle or every round? I can see the idea of a BDC being useful if you know where your rifle hits on that reticle, would you just do the same thing with the redfield as any other BDC? Just seems it wouldn't work as well as they say it would because of variable balistic performances. Anybody have any experience with these scopes and how well they work?

I believe the reticle is built to bracket either 18 or 24 inches. My real concern is reading the range mark on the upper post and what degree of accuracy you will have in telling what the range estimation is.

The original accu-range model in vietnam worked on the same principle of bracketing a 18in area. I just wonder if it worked so well because it was more minute of man and more forgiving of drop than minute of deer where you only have a few inches of play with the vitals on verticle drop.

I have the redfield revenge model with the accuplex reticle is has 2 moa wind holds as well as the accuranger feature, there are dots between the numbers for the 50 yard marks so you can also range to the 25 when the line is in between the dot and the number. I hope I explained that right, you can range 300 325 350 375...... so within 25 yards. I have not tried to range with it yet but the bdc dials where dead on for my load. :D Heck redfield has a decent laser rangefinder for $150-$200 just get one.

OH it ranges targets 16" and 25", the varmint model does 16", 25" and 8"

The main drawback I see with Redfield scopes is that they have 2-piece tubes, just like Leupold VX-1 scopes. While I believe they can be made strong, I don't believe they can be made straight. Lapping rings does no good because the two tubes aren't straight, so it's difficult to avoid stress in the tube assembly with conventional rings. If I were to buy a Redfield scope, I would use Burris Signature rings, which can hold a 2-piece tube without applying stress.

ive used vx1s varix1s vx2s and varix2s all my life and never had a single issue do to it being a 2 peice tube. As to the redfields ill add my experience with them. I bought two a 4x12 and 2x7 and the 4x12 wouldnt hold zero on my 2506 i sent it back and it returned to where it would hold zero once set there but both scopes were absolutely terrible at tracking. three clicks up might get you 3/4s an inch one time and 3 inches the next it also might get you an inch of windage thrown it too. I sold them both and wouldnt buy another. Funny thing is ive got two of the newest vx1 with click ajustments and they tract beautifuly.
The main drawback I see with Redfield scopes is that they have 2-piece tubes, just like Leupold VX-1 scopes. While I believe they can be made strong, I don't believe they can be made straight. Lapping rings does no good because the two tubes aren't straight, so it's difficult to avoid stress in the tube assembly with conventional rings. If I were to buy a Redfield scope, I would use Burris Signature rings, which can hold a 2-piece tube without applying stress.

I think the 2 piece tube nonsense it just nonsense, they built them that way to be made cheaper in mass production, there is nothing wrong with that

I use the burris signature rings with my redfield and they work great, I have tested on the range out to 800 yards, the whole system works quite well. The redfield scopes are the best scopes $200 or less can buy :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.