Redding 7WSM Dies for 6.5WSM?

dwm

What case is the 6.5WSM normally based off of, a 270WSM or a 7mm WSM?

I have a Redding 7mm WSM body die, Type S Bushing neck sizer die, and competition seater.

Would I be able to use these for a 6.5WSM or would I need to get a set of 270WSM dies?

Thanks,

Doug

I was considering a Shilen barrel for one of my Savage model 16 actions. I have one in 7 WSM and one in 25WSSM. I was considering replacing the 25WSSM barrel with something in 6.5. At the moment I can't make up my mind between 6.5WSSM and 6.5WSM. Would like to be able to use the dies I have already, either the 25WSSM set or the 7mm set.

Shilen shows they will provide match grade, prethreaded - chambered barrels in 6.5WSM for Savages.

I guess I should ask them which case the reamer is based off of, 270WSM or 7mmWSM or 300WSM.

Thanks,

Doug

I believe the 6.5 WSM can be formed either from 270 WSM or 300 WSM brass which (I believe) share the same shoulder. The 7mm WSM has a shoulder that sits farther forward. I form brass for my 6.5 WSM from Norma 270 WSM brass. I would bet that the Shilen and almost all 6.5 WSM chamber reamers are based on the shorter shouldered 270/300 WSM case. Only way to be sure is to call Shilen as you mentioned, Doug. Please feel free to correct me if I am incorrect on this, guys.

dwm,

I use a Redding S type 25 wssm set to reload for my 6.5 wssm.

The rep at Redding told me that you could go up or down 1 caliber size with their bushings. That info would lead me to believe that you'd need the 270 wsm set as the 7mm to 6.5 would be two caliber sizes, but I would definately call Redding and check. I've been told frequently I don't know squatt!:eek: usually by my wife.:D

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.