Red Stag Meat Processing

We cut all the steaks we can from our white tail harvest. Used to do a few roast but as someone else already said generally used them for something else. For the last five or so years we've been grinding all we can except steaks . We mix ours with pork sausage from a local meat shop . I let them know a few days in advance and they will grind me some and not season it . Generally add about one third pork to it and it turns out real well . If doing burgers use a meat thermometer as soon as they hit 165 inside they are done.
My and the kids really enjoy bear steaks and sausage to. Just be sure to cook to 175 ish . Or you may get a itchy rear end in a few weeks

I am looking to process my own deer and hogs (not do it commercially). On a good year I will have 4 deer and a few hogs to process. My problem is that the only butcher in town that will process wild game really isn't that great. The product is ok but the customer service is terrible. I would much rather process my own game at home and possibly get into grinding custom cuts for sausage (but game processing is the priority)

I am looking to process my own deer and hogs (not do it commercially). On a good year I will have 4 deer and a few hogs to process. My problem is that the only butcher in town that will process wild game really isn't that great. The product is ok but the customer service is terrible. I would much rather process my own game at home and possibly get into grinding custom cuts for sausage (but game processing is the priority)

Check out the Scott Rea Project.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCs_t4Om5siqqFtVGd639Z0Q

You can get a meat grinder at Sportsmans Warehouse or other places.

I have been using a Cabelas #22 grinder for about 20 years. I added a tenderizer and foot pedal over the years. I have lost count of the number of deer and hogs it has done but I expect it will out last me. Spending your hard earned dollars wisely for decent equipment will reward you with a lifetime of use. Your equipment investment will pay off in a few seasons vs processing fees plus you know that you have YOUR meat.

Sounds like you definitely need to learn the process out of necessity which is not a bad thing.

Its like the old sayin-Nothing ventured nothing gained.

To me it adds to the pleasant feeling you get knowing how the end product got onto your, your family's & your friends plates.
When I consume a piece of any game meat I've taken the whole process of how it came to be there comes back to me.

I got some reloading components, put them together in a press, did the load development to get a sub moa group, sighted in the rifle, did the hard yards to find an animal, shot the animal humanely, butchered the animal taking as much as possible, broke it down to make an array of cuts, joints, jerky, sausages that I can enjoy for up to a year.

Probably 1stly is you do need to have the cold storage capacity to look after the meat.
Hanging whole for up to 7 days is preferred but as in my case I cannot do that so break it down into smaller workable pieces in the field.

The other piece of equipment as I previously mentioned being irreplaceable is a food vacuum sealing machine.
Getting all the air out before freezing will reduce freezer burn & will also prolong the freezing life.
I have eaten venison 12 months later than the day I processed it without issue.

Good luck with it 308 :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts