Red Field Accu-range 4-12x40 ballistic drop info

I recently purchased a Red Field Accurange scope for my 30-06. I am very pleased with the clarity and new reticle. Overall the scope is awesome. However, I live in northwest Arkansas and the elevation here is about 1100 ft above sea level.
I am going to Colorado in October for an Elk hunt and I am looking for info on how the hold overs within the acccurange reticle will differ based on hunting at 9000 ft, low humidity, colder temps, etc.
I am looking at hunting with either a 165 or 180 grain bullet. The redfield website shows the 30-06 being in group 1 with a 150 grain bullet.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

U just have to verify the zeros for std. conditions in your area, then punch the new variables into the ballistics program to see what the zeros will be at your new air density.

That's exactly right--that's why u verify (and troubleshoot if necessary) your ballistics profile in std. conditions and then that becomes your "baseline" profile from which u make air density changes.

Last fall I zeroed my 6mm Norma BR. shooting 105 gr. Berger VLDs at 200 yds. The elevation was 780 ft. When I got to Wyoming the elevation was 4,500 feet and the temperature and humidity was about the same in both places. In Wyoming I shot at a 1" circle lased at exactly 200 yds. and put 5 shots in the center of the circle. Go figure???

When you get to Colorado shoot your rifle at the long ranges to verify where your drop will be on the hunt.

joseph

Last edited:
...especially at the longer ranges where the air density changes will make a difference. It will most likely be an eye opener.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.