Recutting a set of existing dies to an improved chamber?

7mmShooter

Hi guys, I'm curious as I'm interested in doing one of Elkaholic's Sherman designs (270 Sherman). I believe the stock 270 win barrel just needs the Sherman Reamer run into it from the conversation I've had with Rich (30-06 to 300 Sherman is just that, and obviously new dies). So I am curious if a set of 270 win RCBS dies could be converted to 270 Sherman the same way...? Bigngreen I sent you a pm on this very subject actually, just thought I'd post it here just in case! Thanks guys!

I've used a carbide die drill to open up a die neck a couple of different times. While that's not reaming it showed me carbide will cut through the hardened surface. With that said buying a $200 carbide reamer and potentially ruining it for an experiment isn't exactly cost effective. If you've got money to burn I say try it. I'd like to know if it'll actually work or not.

Best of luck with your project!

Can hardened dies be annealed?
Sure. Do you really want to go to the expense of doing that, making the alterations and then re-hardening? you could buy 3-4 die sets for what that'd cost. You're not going to be able to use the oven in the kitchen, unless that's where your heat treat oven is. And, as an added bonus, die reamers cost about the same as chambering reamers. "We're saving money, now!".

Sure. Do you really want to go to the expense of doing that, making the alterations and then re-hardening? you could buy 3-4 die sets for what that'd cost. You're not going to be able to use the oven in the kitchen, unless that's where your heat treat oven is. And, as an added bonus, die reamers cost about the same as chambering reamers. "We're saving money, now!".

+1

You can buy a die blank that has not been hardened/heat treated, but then you need to buy a "Sizing Reamer" that cost the same as a chamber reamer Plus you have to do the work.

Cost have exceeded the cost of a dedicated set of dies.

So I think the consensus is that a set of dies is the best way to go.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the help guys, just gonna have to put it on hold and save up to get it done right!

Try Ben @ Hornady. They made me several sets of custom dies with bushings that are very good.

They were about Half the price of most custom dies. (Around $250.00). If you are still going with the
custom chamber, I would recommend ordering them now because they will be an 8 to 10 week delivery.

J E CUSTOM

True, that's one avenue.. But I can get a set of Whidden micrometer dies for around $285, which is most likely the route I will go. Not something that needs to be done right now anyhow, in the research stage more than anything, thanks guys!

you can cut a hardened die, but not with a reamer. I've seen a set recut in an Okuma using ceramic inserts. Total failure, as they had to be rehardened. Finish was acceptable, and the final size and shape were good. The chamber shape was checked off a master he built (checked with high spot blue). The seater was easy as it was a Forster. He later bought a C/M die blank, and simply nitrided it. (used the same program, but cut the die about .002" small). Took forever to get it polished out to size!
gary

Whidden CNC bore their dies. But they're machined in their soft state and then hardened. Seems a good idea to me, that if you offer a proprioty line of cartridges/chambering reamers to offer reloading dies for them. Maybe Elkaholic does, and I'm just not aware that he does. For the few real "odd-ball" reamers I have, I have sizing die reamers to go along with them and keep a die blank or two on hand.

Whidden CNC bore their dies. But they're machined in their soft state and then hardened. Seems a good idea to me, that if you offer a proprioty line of cartridges/chambering reamers to offer reloading dies for them. Maybe Elkaholic does, and I'm just not aware that he does. For the few real "odd-ball" reamers I have, I have sizing die reamers to go along with them and keep a die blank or two on hand.

He keeps all the dies sets in stock ready to go, Whidden uses a set of carbide reamers for each chambering which Rich purchased for them so the dies are consistent all the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.