Recommend an Outfitter.

robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

I am from England and I want to go to the USA in the 2011/12 hunting for Elk and deer and would be grateful for recommendations for an outfitter.

I have looked online and there are 100's to choose from and it seems such a lottery trying to find a good one.

I would like to go on a 7-14 day hunt and I don't mind living in tents whilst traveling around, but I am sure I could get used to a nice chalet too. I don't want to go somewhere that is totally manufactured where I am driven around via 4x4 to tame deer and shoot them at 50yds. I want to get out in the country and hike for miles and stalk the deer before taking a top grade trophy. I am not afraid of hard work either.

I am not sure where the best place to go is, I have been looking at Montana but if you think there are better places please let me know. If I am traveling 5000miles I want to make it a trip to remember.

So, what do you think ???

Last edited by a moderator:
You have only been on the forum for 5 months so I will put it to you this way.

I have been here on the forum a long time with several other people. One of those people is Shawn Carlock and you are not going to find a more stand up guy. Go down in the recommended outfitters part of the forum and see who he recommends.

Something to remember, weather and animals are unpredictable. In 2009, I hunted elk in the snow and cold and mud then in 2010 on the same mountain during the same season I hunted in T-shirt. Get a bad winter and and have a lot of animal mortality, things can be bleak. Elk hunting is real hunting and there is no guarantee of even getting a shot.

Best of luck to you.

First of all, Welcome. I love England and lived there for a couple of years in the Midlands and Wales. I can see why you would want to come to the U.S. for a hunting experience. I would agree with BuffaloBob. Shawn would be able to help you with a good outfitter. He just went on a guided hunt if I remember correctly. perhaps you could do a search for some of his latest posts. He did mention the name of the outfitter. if he chose them they would be worth looking into. Bob was right. Last year on the Elk hunt here in Southern Utah we were hunting at 10 - 11,000ft with little snow on the ground. This year we were hunting and could not get above 8,000 ft altitude because the snow was too deep. Also realize that depending upon where you choose you can be hunting from 3,500 to 11,000 ft in elevation. Each thousand feet that you climb offers a big difference in habitat and terrain. You will love it here in the rockies. I would say that Idaho or Utah would be two great states to check into as well. Lots of Public land and opportunity.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.