Where to hunt a giant mule deer? Outfitter recommendations..

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by TX mountain hunter, Aug 9, 2012.

1. TX mountain hunter

TX mountain hunter Well-Known Member

My father in law has always wanted to shoot a giant mule deer. He would like to go on a hunt to have a high success rate on big mature mulies (180" or better). He realizes that this will probably require a high price on large piece of private land. His mobility is fair and he can do some walking, but probably no more than a mile or two in moderately difficult terrain.

Any idea what the Jicarilla Reservation tags go for?

Besides the Jicarilla, what else is out there?

Any info on the Powell 4A ranch or the Kessler Canyon ranch?

Mexico is not an option.

2. Coues Sniper

Coues Sniper Well-Known Member

Jicarilla is a draw system, and tags are $15,000. 180+ is a non issue, they claim they average 200". Tribal members are able to hunt too, and kill some GIANTS. You said Mexico is not an option, I wouldn't reccomend it anyways as there are far fewer big bucks than everyone realizes, and it has been a slow few years lately anyhow. Colorado is a good bet. I have nothing specific but landowner tags can be had for a decent price, and there are several units that have giant bucks that can be drawn with just a few points. NV has some good areas with landowner tags from about $5,000 with big buck potential. UT has some auction tags, but those are all gone by now. I'd concentrate on CO though.

3. bobthecranker

bobthecranker New Member

We had a bad winter in 2010 but the deer are rebounding very well. if you were to research outfitter in northern Alberta Canada you would have a great chance to kill some very nice bucks.

4. Coues Sniper

Coues Sniper Well-Known Member

Good point. Canada has some private land hunts that yield some giants. Again, no specific info but research should be pretty easy.

5. kennygss

kennygss Well-Known Member

The Ranching for Wildlife hunts in CO have scored some nice bucks. Kennedy Hunting Services does them.

6. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

7. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Good friend of mine owns this operation. I have hunted with him and he is first class, so there are no surprises.

He has giant Mule Deer!

Give him a call and tell him I sent you.

Legend Outfitting

8. Joaquin B

Joaquin B Well-Known Member

Try applying for the Arizona Strip. That's the area between the Colorado river and the Utah state line, northwest of the Kaibab plateau. The most difficult part of the hunt is getting drawn. Southwest Utah, in the Hurricane Valley area is also very good for giant mule deer. Good luck!

9. jde650

jde650 Active Member

The Heaton ranch in Southern Utah located within the paunsagaunt limited entry unit take a few B&C bucks every year.

Jim:):)

10. jde650

jde650 Active Member

Contact Wade Heaton @ Color Country Outfitters, They have a web page.

Jim