Recommend a good 5.56 bolt action?

Interesting. I checked one out at the store but decided not to buy it after reading a couple bad reviews about people not getting them to shoot less than 1.5

I think I'm going to give up on trying to mount my IR laser. All of the options look like the scope would not clear it anyway.

I think I'm going to give up on trying to mount my IR laser. All of the options look like the scope would not clear it anyway.
if it is small enough it can be mounted on top of the scope they make a scope ring with a short rail on it I used one to mount a predator light

If your not shooting long distance the the savage axis II Overwatch might work. Definitely accurate enough out of the box. Comes with pic rail 20" barrel. Camo stock. Cerakoted SS barrel and action. Not a threaded barrel though. You might also look at the axis II PRCISION.

Another that will shoot heavier pills is the Ruger ranch 5.56. 1-7 twists. That might have everything you need. Shoots 75gr lights out from what I've heard. Takes NATO brass as well 223 obviously.

I know I'm looking for a lot in one factory package but can anyone think of a rifle that fits this bill, or a combination of parts for a build that will?

.223/5.56
MOA or better accuracy
Threaded barrel
Picatinny top hand guard for IR laser.
Budget around $1000

I'm looking to buy a coyote gun that I can set up for NV hunting as well. I'm tired of carrying 2 ARs and want to be able to shoot further more accurately, as well as practicing fundamentals for long range shooting at the range.

Ruger precisions look to fit the bill, but they stopped making them and are nearly impossible to find, especially with a hand guard to attach the IR laser.

Tikkas are SubMOA and Sub $1000, but I'd have to have the barrel threaded and couldn't attach my IR laser.

The Tikka Tac a1 is perfect but will cost close to $2,000.00. Ouch.

Can someone steer me in the right direction? Maybe a combination of things staying around that budget line?

Thanks.
Take a look at Howa. You can't go wrong. Deadly accurate..... affordable....many stock options.

Opinions are like elbows. Almost everybody has at least one. I would build a .223 Wilde. It will shoot both the .223R and the 5.56. It has a throat that is the same diameter as the bullet which in theory makes it more accurate. As a matter of fact, I think I'll make one. I always have to make sure that I don't take any 5.56 ammo when I take my .223. I've read that if you shoot a 5.56 in a .223 chamber you can boost the chamber preasure over 10000 PSI. I like model 700 Remingtons. You can buy a rifle or action and build one. The cheapest route mould be to buy the cheap M700 and rebarrel. Buy a barrel blank in the Remington contour and chamber to the .223 Wilde. While the rifle is apart, the action can be trued. Face off the reciever., lap the bolt lugs to the action and surface grind the recoil lug the insure that it is square. I have found that found that the new Remingtons take very little trueing.

Hard to beat this price and then upgrade as YOU desire.
It looks like that's what I'm going to do. I'll probably just get that and throw it in a KRG x-ray chassis. They have a $200 mount that would allow me to mount my IR laser as well

Opinions are like elbows. Almost everybody has at least one. I would build a .223 Wilde. It will shoot both the .223R and the 5.56. It has a throat that is the same diameter as the bullet which in theory makes it more accurate. As a matter of fact, I think I'll make one. I always have to make sure that I don't take any 5.56 ammo when I take my .223. I've read that if you shoot a 5.56 in a .223 chamber you can boost the chamber preasure over 10000 PSI. I like model 700 Remingtons. You can buy a rifle or action and build one. The cheapest route mould be to buy the cheap M700 and rebarrel. Buy a barrel blank in the Remington contour and chamber to the .223 Wilde. While the rifle is apart, the action can be trued. Face off the reciever., lap the bolt lugs to the action and surface grind the recoil lug the insure that it is square. I have found that found that the new Remingtons take very little trueing.
I have a Remington 700 VLS in .223 Rem. I ditched the stock with a lighter bedded synthetic camouflage stock. Mounted a Sig Sauer Tango4 4-20x50 scope. Shooting cheap 55gr FMJs sub MOA. 55gr VMAX with VV N-133 in Lapua brass and cci250 sub 1/2 MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.