5.56/.223, 9 twist, bolt action, 24 in. barrel---bullet???

I just ordered a new coyote rifle with the specs mentioned in the title and to be honest I have no experience with .223. I know every rifle shoots just a little different, but I'd like everyone's experiences and thoughts on where to start. Here are my requirements:

1) MOST IMPORTANT--fur saving, even with small fox.

2) Strong enough to take a coyote down hard and johnny-on-the-spot.

3) Pin-point accuracy.

4) Long range capabilities.

I know there are more capable calibers (like the .204) for what I want, but please keep your responses strict to what's mentioned in the title.

Thanks!

the 70gn or 75gn berger vld would do you just fine.shoot two yots some time back and no exit holes just a small hole on the side shot at.I am able to push the 75gn bullet pretty fast with 4064 not sure to the numbers at the time but I can get them for ya.

my rifel ia a 1:9 all so.so the 75gn bullet should work just fine for ya.any other bullet will blow up on a fox.it sounds like you are trying to save the fur.you too should enjoy it for long range shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.